What Miss Universe Taught Us about Evening Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

This past Sunday, the world received a new Miss Universe, Paulina Vega, 22, from Colombia. This is the pageant’s 63rd year, and evening wear has changed much over that time. We can always count on these 88 amazing ladies to keep us up to date on the latest trends.

Some of the most notable dresses in top 10 contestants were from Australia, Jamaica, USA, and Argentina.

Miss Australia (top left), Miss Jamaica (top right and 4th runner-up), Miss USA (bottom left and 1st runner-up), and Miss Argentina (bottom right).

From these dresses, we can tell that jewel tone colors are very in, especially red hues. Body hugging dresses and skin exposure/cut-outs are also a new fashion statement. And, as always, stones, beading and sparkle are something every girl loves and are very prominent in these gowns.

Colors from the white family have also become popular in evening wear. It’s a color that complements everyone whether it is cream, ivory, or stark white. A glittering effect is also very present among the white colored dresses. 

Miss Colombia (top left and winner), Miss Philippines (top right and top ten), Miss Dominican Republic (bottom left), and Miss Serbia (bottom right).

These are some other ladies with evening gowns that did not make it into the top ten, but still stood out from the crowd and had a wow factor. Here, we can see the reoccurring trend of bold jewel tones, sparkle, slim fit, and hints of skin that helped these women rock their evening wear!

Miss Russia (top left), Miss Slovak Republic (top right), Miss Czech Republic (bottom left), and Miss New Zealand (bottom right).

Miss Canada (left) and Miss Bulgaria (right).

Photo Credit:http://www.missuniverse.com/photos/index/gallery_id:4/year:all

Anna Thrash is a sophmore at the University of Arkansas and is pursuing a major in broadcast journalism. She is member of Alpha Omicron Pi and played clarinet in the Razorback Marching Band. Anna joined the Her Campus team in 2015, and when she's not writing she loves traveling and cooking.