The Opposite Side of the Door Stack: Essentials for Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.
The time has come! Sorority recruitment is around the corner and every sisterhood is preparing for one, giant, phenomenal event — babies! 

Not those babies. Baby sisters! Eager for a home away from home, one by one, the potential new members put on their winning smiles, wake up early and fret over which necklace to wear, all for us. If that isn’t a blessing, I’m not sure what is. I know that I can speak for all of my fellow Greek sisters (AOII until I die) when I say that I am pumped for 2015 recruitment at Arkansas.

I remember my first rush experience, and whether or not you’ve yet to be on the back side of a door stack or not, it’s always important to keep in mind that recruitment is what you make it. Between the excitement and intense need for a throat lozenge, there is so much to be excited for — Bid Day, Big/Little Reveal, Grandlittles and Great-Grandlittles. An extension of the lifelong band of family and friends. Your new best friend could be walking through that door, excitedly waving at you from the side of another one of your sisters, and she doesn’t even know your name yet.

But what about those of you who are little too nervous to be excited, right? If it’s your first time on the opposite side, getting into the swing of the routine with your older sisters can be downright tricky. I’m here to tell you to take a deep breath and smile, you’re about to have one of the most memorable experiences of your college career. Just don’t forget your recruitment week essentials!

For Your Bag:

Makeup
Okay, first, know that having a “supplies” bag is simply not an option. You will be at your house for hours on end, and during that time (especially after the yummy pizza you have for lunch), you will need to freshen up and, inevitably, you will need your handy-dandy, Her Campus-inspired emergency kit. Remember to bring your powder, blush, lip stain and mascara. On the flip side of that, it may be a good idea to bring some makeup wipes in the event of a facial emergency; and please, ladies, do not forget deodorant! Bring it with you, too! It will get hot — and not just because you’re there, but let’s face it, that’s a lot of the reason why. While we’re on the topic of nice-smelling things, I always bring a bottle of perfume. There isn’t anything worse than being afraid that you smell like an impressive amount of hairspray!

Hair Products
Unless your hair is natural-disaster proof, a travel can of hairspray may be a great investment for you. Your pretty ‘do may be flatter than my jokes by the time the lunch rolls around. So, in addition, bring your teasing comb and a hairbrush. If you need bobby pins, put them in a small ziplock bag and and bring them along, too.

Medical Items
If you have to take medication throughout the day, be sure and pack it with you. Stow it away in a ziplock baggie along with band-aids and anti-bacterial ointment (Neosporin is great!). Without a doubt, either you or a sister are going to need a band-aid for your heels or another painful “uh-oh”. Also, do not forget to bring feminine items. Whether or not Mother Nature is walking with you during recruitment week, always be prepared, either for yourself or for a sister in need. 

Electronics
Depending on where your recruitment is held, you can generally keep your bag upstairs near the residential rooms (or in a sister’s room, if they are moving in/have already moved in) where it is out of sight of the PNM’s. You should keep your phone there and only go for it when you absolutely need to, and if you’re prepared, you can snag a spot by an outlet to keep your phone charged throughout the day! Get to the house early and place your bag upstairs (or in the designated area) as soon as possible to enjoy the perks of having your bag close and near an outlet. Keep your car keys and a wallet or something similar for money in the same vicinity. 

Snacks
It’s difficult to chant when your tummy starts singing louder than you are. It’s okay — and a great idea — to pack snack crackers and a water bottle in your bag. In fact, you may want to pack more than one water bottle. If you like your water cold, you may invest in a small, insulated lunch box and an ice pack. If you do this, you may need a larger bag, or you will simply have one extra recruitment carry-on. I would highly recommend a large bag, you will want to keep your “remember to take home” items to a minimum!

So, what kind of bag consolidates all of this? A beach bag or small duffel bag would be ideal, and I would label everything with your name that you don’t want lost — it’s very easy for common items such as phone chargers to get mixed up with someone else’s, and a sister may (without thinking about it, of course) be accustom to having her charger and walk out of the house with yours after borrowing it. If you follow the template above, you should be perfectly prepped! Now, let’s talk about what to have in your car.

For Your Car:

Bedding
Some nights will run late, and after all of girls have gone back to their dorms, you will still have work to do with your sisters; everyone will be tired and looking to get comfortable, so don’t be left out and don’t let a sister be left out! In your car, keep a sleeping bag or two. You shouldn’t sleep overnight at the house unless you’re moved in, but to accommodate so many lovely ladies, everyone may have to sit on the floor for after-hours work. This is particularly true for Preference Night. Along with sleeping bags, you should have plenty of blankets packed and a pillow. Make sure to have enough padding if your sitting place doesn’t have carpet, so a fluffy blanket (heck, even a small rug!) for your bottom is a must. 

Spare Clothes
Always, always, always have a spare change of clothes. You will not be allowed to leave the house during Preference Night until all of the work is done (because our sisterly time is very “hush hush”), so you will need some pajamas and hair ties in your car. Bring socks and lotion, whatever makes you feel comfortable. There will still be some long hours to put in after your day of talking to girls!

In addition to heeding the advice in this article, talk to older sisters and ask them what they’re bringing to recruitment week. You could tag-team items or agree to be “emergency buddies” in case you happen to forget something one day. Remember to take care of yourself during recruitment week and the time leading up to it! Eating healthy is going to help keep your stress levels to a minimum, as well as taking the time to ensure that you are adequately prepared. 

Happy recruitment season and good luck to every girl participating — both active member and PNM! 
Tiffany Ward, a Junior at the University of Arkansas, joined the Her Campus Arkansas team in 2013 and now serves as the chapter President. Along with being an English major, Tiffany has a minor in Legal Studies and Pre-Law emphasis. Tiffany is a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Tiffany loves to write articles that provide advice and fun to her readers.