Healthy Replacements For The Foods You Crave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

Spring Break is just three weeks away, and you’ve been trying to focus on your physique. But dieting is hard, especially when all you can think about is donuts, Girl Scout Cookies, fried chicken and the all dangerous- chocolate. Don’t stress! It’s likely that a few snacks won’t be detrimental to all of your hard work. However if you find yourself conflicted between healthy and delicious, there’s a healthy snack you can eat to kick those cravings in the a**!

Salty Foods: When you’re craving salty foods, your body is lacking chloride and silicon. Instead of busting out your bag of potato chips, try eating cashews and other kinds of nuts. Nuts are filled with protein, and will put your salty cravings to rest.

Greasy Foods: Admit it, a juicy cheeseburger sounds incredible right now. But don’t give in! When you’re craving greasy and oily foods, try eating broccoli, asparagus or kale. It’s likely that your body is lacking calcium, which these healthy greens are loaded with!

Carbs: If you’re craving carbs like bread and pasta, your body is probably low on nitrogen. Eat some high-protein foods like fish, beans or chia seeds. They will satisfy your cravings and you won’t be mad at yourself for eating a ton of carbs!

Sweet and Sugary Foods: Craving sweet and sugary foods can be due to multiple deficiencies. When you’re day dreaming about those Girl Scout Cookies you have hidden in your pantry, try eating fresh fruits. Your favorite fruits will fulfill your sweet cravings, and your spring break bod will thank you.

Chocolate: Last, but certainly not least, chocolate. You want it, and it’s probably the hardest craving to beat. When you crave chocolate, your body is lacking magnesium. You can eat fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables to try to get the thought of chocolate out of your head, however don’t be afraid to eat just a little bit. You’ve been working hard on your spring break bod, you deserve some chocolate every now and then!

Jordan is from a small town called Coppell, Texas, but has moved to Fayetteville to attend college. She is the Editor-In-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Arkansas. She is a junior at the University of Arkansas, who is majoring in Journalism (with an AD/PR emphasis) and minoring in Communications. Her interests include E! network, everything Kardashians and cats.