Danielle Neighbour: Living the Younglife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

While most students were headed to the pool or searching for jobs during the summer months, sophomore Danielle Neighbour packed her bags and prepared to leave the United States.

At  the beginning of June, Danielle left her hometown of Lenexa, KS and headed for Malibu, Canada to work as a Younglife camp counselor for four weeks.  Due to the isolated location, there was no available cell phone or internet service.

Stepping off the plane into an unfamiliar airport, Danielle was greeted by a large group of friendly strangers. Not only would these students become her fellow counselors, but they would become her lifelong friends over the course of the month.  After a day’s worth of bus and boat travel, the counselors landed on the shore of the Younglife Malibu Club camp.

On an average day, Danielle would start the morning by sharing her testimony by the mountain lake.  This was her favorite part of the job, sharing her love of Christ with the campers.  She also participated in other duties such as lifeguarding and helping the staff put on programs each night.  “I learned how to serve others without expecting anything in return, Danielle said.  “When you help others you gain so much more just by focusing on them.  It is important to remember that it’s not all about you.”

Back at the University of Arkansas, Danielle can easily be found at the library, studying for her civil engineering classes.  She is also an active member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority and an honors college ambassador.  She attends Younglife college club Tuesday nights and a small group on Wednesdays.  She is currently in training to become a Younglife leader.

Danielle would like to invite everyone to get involved with YoungLife on campus.  Meetings are at 9 p.m. in the union theater on Tuesday nights.

Photo sources: Danielle Neighbour

Born and raised in Kansas City. Sophomore at the University of Arkansas.
Hannah has a love for beauty, fashion, and trying new products! Add her on Intsagram and Twitter: @hannahvls