10 Thoughts I Had During Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

As my freshman year is coming to a close, I can’t help but think of everything I’ve learned and experienced in the past eight months. I have made the most amazing friends and have had the best first-year college experience. I never thought I would enjoy college as much as I do and I am so sad to go home for the summer. I’m going to miss you, Fayetteville.

1. Why did I bring t-shirts to college?

Seriously. You get so many t-shirts in college. Sorority shirts take up a huge bulk of my drawer. But it’s not just sorority shirts. It’s University of Arkansas shirts. It’s the free shirts that get handed out on campus. If I could go back to when I was packing for college, I would tell myself to not bring any t-shirts. You’ll thank yourself when your drawer has room for all of the ones you’ll collect throughout the year.

2. Should I order pizza or Jimmy Johns?

This thought has came to my head one too many times. There are some days you’ll cringe when you think about eating in the dining hall or heating up ramen noodles. These are the best days for getting food delivered. I learned that it’s okay to order food at midnight, it’s really not going to hurt you. Just do it.

3. Why didn’t I start studying for this test earlier?

In high school you could get away with studying the night before a big test and be fine. That is not the case in college. I learned very quickly during first semester that sometimes you have to start studying weeks in advance to get the A that you want. I also learned that it pays off to work your booty off during the first few months of classes. When it comes to finals you won’t have to work as hard and you may get a few more hours of sleep than everyone else.

4. Should I go to class today?

I’m not one to skip classes all the time, but there are some days when it seems impossible to get out of bed. These days are mostly Friday… but while I don’t go to class, you can bet I’ll be at my sorority house for Chicken Finger Friday.

5. How many more days of community bathrooms?

I knew coming into college that I wouldn’t enjoy community bathrooms. But, I didn’t think it would be that bad. Between the hairballs in the shower and the who-knows-what in the sink, I can’t wait to get out of the community bathroom scene. It’s gross.

6. Should I go out tonight?

In college, there are a lot of opportunities to go out and have fun every single night. But sometimes it’s okay to stay in and watch Netflix. You won’t be missing out on much, chances are there will be another party exactly like that one another night. Stay in. Enjoy it.

7. I need to call my mom.

I have this thought almost every hour of every day. Going to college really made me appreciate the amazing parents that I have. I can’t go one day without calling or facetiming them. It’s actually a problem. Instead of my parents annoying me, I annoy the heck out of them.

8. Who is that gorgeous boy?

It’s no secret that college guys are way cute. Sometimes they are just the motivation you need to go to class.

9. Does freshman year really have to end?

I never thought I would be the one to wish for school to not end. But here I am, wishing away.

10. I LOVE COLLEGE. 

College is like a never-ending sleepover with all of your best friends. Seriously, it’s so much fun. I wish it didn’t have to end so soon.

Cassidy is a freshman at the University of Arkansas. She is majoring in Public Relations/Advertising and Broadcast Journalism and she is also a member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Cassidy is from Fort Smith, Arkansas and enjoys riding around in her convertible on sunny days.