Eli (KAM ROYAL) Kamerow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

“Jake Goldfarb taught me everything that I know. He’s the Yoda to my Luke Skywalker”

Eli Kamerow, or Kam Royal as his fans know him, is an up-and-coming hip-hop artist with his heart in his music and his eyes on stardom. His jokes had me laughing through the interview and it was clear by the time we wrapped up, this kid is going to make it big. His Facebook can be found here and has links to his youtube and twitter sites.

The Basics

Year: Junior
Age: 20
Major: Jewish Studies
Hometown: Washington, DC

Fun Stuff

Biggest inspirations:Jay-Z, Notorious B.I.G., Big L, Tech Nine, Drake, Dom Kennedy, Ludacris, Pink Floyd, the Fleet Foxes’ new album

Favorite song of the moment: Friend or Foe by Jay Z

What’s playing on his IPod now:A track he recorded the night before and is now editing

His music videos:Dude and What A Day

Getting Down to Business

For starters, do you know why we are interviewing you?
I’m an aspiring zoologist. On a trip to Costa Rica last year I discovered a few new species of frogs, and Tulane’s really excited about that… Nah I’m just kidding. For some reason or another, I decided I’m going to try to be a hip-hop artist by the name Kam Royal and people have been responding, so they decided to check in with me and see what’s the deal because Her Campus is always on the cutting edge of what’s on the up-and-up.

How would you describe the style of music that you do?
Authentic. Especially this new stuff I’m putting out. I feel like this new mixtape is going to paint the perfect picture of where I’m at now. I’m towing this odd line where I’ve come so much further than anyone ever thought I would have but I still haven’t made it where I want to be. My music is very indicative of how I’m feeling right now.

How long would you say you’ve been doing this for?
Seriously: about a year. For fun, for sh*ts and giggles: I’ve been doing this my whole life, I wrote my first rap in 5th grade.

Do you remember what that first rap was about?
I do. I can’t talk about it without first giving a shout out to my younger brother Simon. He’s a grade below me, he was in the 4th grade and he wrote a rap and I thought that was dope. So I actually bit his first opening lines, the only time I’ve ever done that, and I wrote a rap off that. But I’m not going to perform it right now, I apologize, I’m going to have to abstain from that.

Would you say that your brother has been one of your biggest supporters?
Absolutely, my brother is one of the best guys I know in the whole world. He’d do anything for any body. He’s my best friend. He’ll support me in anything I do.

What do you think has been the most surreal part of your career so far?
When I was out performing in Vegas last weekend at Clinton Sparks’ birthday party – that was pretty wild. My manager called me on Wednesday night and was like ‘Do you want to go to Vegas this weekend?’ and I was just like ‘Yeah, but I’m not 21 is that going to be a problem?’ and she told me not to worry about it. So they flew me out and we stayed in the hardwood suite at the Palms, that’s the one with the basketball court in the suite. Then we up to this ill club, Club Moon at the Palms, and just rocked.

Do you have any advice for other artists who are maybe frustrated because they aren’t getting anywhere?
Work harder and discover who you are as an artist. I’m finally getting to the point where you can hear my stuff and know it’s me. You’re not going to get famous doing an imitation of anyone else. I could rap like Drake, but I’m never going to out-Drake Drake, so it would be pointless. But yeah just be patient, yes I’ve had more success than a lot of peers, but that’s not what I’m shooting for. I don’t want to be famous amongst my friends. In my mind I’ve had no success. Don’t look at me like ‘Oh this kid’s made it.’ That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s not an overnight thing. Yeah – out of all that rambling I just did, that’s what people should know, it’s not an overnight process.

What’s the smartest musical move you ever made?
Coming to Tulane. Hands down. I wouldn’t be doing any of this stuff right now if I hadn’t come here. I was always just messing around with it, and then my freshman year I was kickin’ some raps in my friend Ben Karp’s room and he was like ‘dude you need to write some of this stuff down and get in the studio, get serious with it. That’s what really provided that spark. If I hadn’t come to Tulane and met him we probably wouldn’t even be having this conversation.