This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Hello, Tulanians!

The above picture is of Avijita Panwar, a current junior here at Tulane. This cutie traveled a great distance to come to Tulane and I am so greatful she did. She’s adventurous (the picture is of her on the top of Dayara Bugyal, one of the highest peaks in India), smart and always has the biggest smile on her face. If you do not know her, you’re doing something wrong. I’m just going to leave it at that. 

Name: Avijita Panwar

Nickname: Avi

Major: Finance and accounting 

Clubs involved in: Indian association of Tulane (IATU), International advisory board (ISAB), Freeman Student Government (FSG), Alpha Lambda Delta, Jazbaa dance crew 

Home: Dehradun, India

How was it transitioning from India to the US?: 

“It was just a very different experience. I thought I had learned enough from American books/tv shows/movies but the cultural differences struck me the minute I landed here. Personally, I would not have been able to settle in if I had not stepped out of my comfort zone and talked to as many American students and professors as possible. Hearing about where they are from and what growing up was like really helped me adjust. Overall, I’m glad I can experience the beautiful culture and people of two such wonderful countries simultaneously. 

What Indian dish should everyone try at one point in their life: Gulaab Jumuns! Hands down. They are similar to hush puppies but they are served as desserts and are syrupy balls made in heaven. 

What do you miss most about India?: My family

Words you live by: You can still do more

What’s your dream job?: Be a part of the IMF

Her Campus Tulane