Alyssa’s Loves & Loathes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

LOVE TO LOATHE: The Self-control app

During past finals seasons I’ve had my roommate switch the password to my Facebook account to prevent me from logging on while I needed to be studying. Now I have StumbleUpon and Twitter accounts to add to that list. Additionally, that never prevented me from getting on YouTube, Netflix, LikeALittle, College Humor, Sporcle, etc.  Some procrastinating genius has solved this problem!

With finals just days, the discovery of this app couldn’t have come at a better time for me. Warning, it only works on Mac computers, but it’s a lifesaver if that’s what you use. What you do is create a list of websites that you want your computer to block, and enter in the time period which you want them to be blocked for. So for me I would type in all the websites above and have them blocked for 4 hours.  Once you submit it, IT CANT BE UNDONE. You can delete the app, you can restart your computer, it will all still be blocked. D@m*it!

I LOVE how much I HATE this application. It’s everything I need it to be, and yet I can’t stand how well it works. I definitely suggest it to all you collegiettes in the same situation.