Alyssa’s Loves & Loathes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

LOATHE: When bad things happen to good people

Okay guys, this one is kinda serious. In the wake of Wednesday’s death of a fellow Tulanian, and also in the wake of a serious of events like this happening to people I know… I just feel so upset.

One of the nicest and hardest working guys I know got in a terrible motorcycle accident recently. Another really good friend had an uncle pass away this week, and now, one of our very own – Gil Lowerre has died as well.

It can be very demotivational at a time like this to be affected so strongly by death and heartache, and it makes me personally wonder why these things have to happen to such good people. No, I’m not going to get religious now – just thoughtful and positive. I am a firm believer that everything has a purpose, everything happens for a reason. It may seem cruel and evil when we see images from wars, plane crashes, car accidents, and school shooting sprees, but everything serves a purpose.

It is up to each of us to make sure that in these times of grief and heartache we remember the good that has been and continues to be accomplished, if we forget to do that, all that these brave men and women has done will be in vain. And that – that is something truly devastating.