Why We Shouldn’t Kill Net Neutrality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

What exactly is net neutrality?

Net neutrality ensures that the internet is an even playing field for all websites and companies, both big and small. It prohibits large corporations from controlling internet speeds and essentially what we are looking at on the internet. Under the Obama Administration, startups and Internet freedom groups won strong net neutrality rules from the FCC which prohibits internet providers from blocking, throttling or paid prioritization which is fast connection for those sites that pay the providers for their service and slow connection for everyone else. Providers such as Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and AT&T, now want to take over, control and tax the internet in addition to making people pay to use it.

This has dangerous potential effects including corporations utilizing the internet to advance their own agenda and slowing the internet down for any sites that don’t comply with their agenda. Additionally this could change the internet as we know it. If this passes, think about a world where you have to pay to get on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, read your favorite news sites or even watch Netflix.

13 years ago, if corporations were to have had the control of the internet they are currently seeking we wouldn’t have Facebook. This directly will affect any startup companies who may not be able to afford to pay the providers fees. And I’m not just talking about startups, this includes your favorite musicians, internet famous celebs, content creators, YouTubers and so many more who will also likely not be able to afford to pay to be in the fast lane of the internet if these corporations have it their way. If net neutrality goes away, it will become inherently more difficult for the Justin Bieber’s of the world, who became famous solely off of a videos he posted to YouTube, to become famous and for all of us to fall in love with their music. Even if you aren’t a JB fan, no musician started off at the top, and I am sure the internet has helped you find several of your favorite artists.

There are so many more companies, people’s careers and individuals that will be affected if net neutrality gets killed. If you think this won’t affect you, you’re wrong. If you are an internet user of any kind this will have a direct effect on how you consume content. And if you still aren’t convinced check out these videos of John Oliver’s take on the subject. (Also would like to mention this goes to a vote on December 14, 2017…)

https://youtu.be/fpbOEoRrHyU

https://youtu.be/92vuuZt7wak

Socialite, blogger, perfectionist; suffering from fomo and currently attending the University of Texas at Austin. Advertising major and member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity.