Young Thug’s “Super Slimey” No-Show At Temple’s Homecoming Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On October 13, Temple University hosted their annual homecoming concert, “Owlchella,” presented by Temple’s Main Campus Program Board. MCPB puts together many events throughout the semester, including Welcome Week and Homecoming.  Within the past three years, MCPB has thrown together some pretty impressive lineups for our homecoming concerts, and students have come to expect good performances. From Fetty Wap to French Montana, Wale, Logic, and Flo-Rida, they’ve had some big names take the stage recently. This year, the line-up included Tee Grizzley, Lil Yachty, and Young Thug. Students purchased their tickets for $20, and general admission even sold out.

The show began at approximately 8 pm, with Tee Grizzley coming out with a few friends to perform some of his songs. The crowd was visibly excited for the next two performers, and let the rapper do his set and proceeded forward. Lil Yachty took the stage about an hour later, playing hits like “Minnesota” and “One Night.” He definitely confirmed why he calls himself Lil Boat, spraying water bottles all over the crowd, while encouraging them to “rage.” Students were moshing and throwing items in the crowd like shoes, shirts, even phones. It was quite the scene.

Yachty built up a good hype for the Atlanta-born headliner Young Thug, with the crowd waiting anxiously in the stands. But they waited. And waited. People began to spill out, getting fed up with the queue. After about an hour of students and patrons alike waiting in the crowd, an automated voice played over the speaker announcing Young Thug would not be performing, and to exit the Liacouras Center. People booed, threw bottles at the stage, but eventually left the venue, huffing, puffing and cursing the no-show headliner.

At 1:57a.m. on October 14, Young Thug took to Twitter to publicly apologize for his absence, and promised a free show in Philly. He stated that his next tweet would contain all the details for the future make-up performance, but a week later and still no word on the show. Thugger has been active on Twitter all throughout the week. He and Future even dropped a new album “Super Slimey” on Friday.

However, after a scandalous split with ex-fiancee Jerrika Karlae, and another arrest at the end of September, Thugger has been under a lot of heat this past month. On October 3, Karlae accused Young Thug of cheating on her with her good friend, and took to her social media to air her rage and to announce her being “back on the market.” Karlae and the identified model, Amy Luciani, went at it online, and more women chimed in to claim that they have also been with Thugger recently. The rapper had his own sentiments about the situation. At first, Thug seemed unbothered and ready to proceed forward, with the caption “Y cheat when u can creep…” However, soon after he was publicly begging for Karlae to take him back and he would never be unfaithful again. This remorse soon turned to anger, threatening his ex’s life on Twitter, “…Bitch u goin die OnGod.” Did all of this drama catch up to the rapper, and leave him unable to perform last Friday? Or were there other forgivable circumstances not being released to students?

Young Thug has been very present on social media and making more of a mess as the days go by, yet still no word on the disappointing no-show.

So what is next? Thug had another performance Saturday, October 21 at the Rolling Loud Festival in California, and has shows scheduled until the end of the year. But can Thugger redeem himself with his Philly fans? When can we expect our “free show?” Will disappointed Owlchella ticket holders get priority to this event?

– Savanna Marino

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus