This is Why We Should Stand for the National Anthem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the issue of standing during the National Anthem over the past few weeks.

Members of national football teams have chosen to “take a knee” or kneel when the National Anthem is played during games. This first happened on August 26, 2016, when San Francisco 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, refused to stand when “The Star-Spangled Banner” played. He did this to protest police brutality and racial injustice. In an interview with NFL.com, he said:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Since then, many professional athletes, high school football players, and pro NFL players alike have followed in his footsteps and knelt when the song is playing. Social media has caught on to the trend with #TakeAKnee.

As a granddaughter of soldiers, a friend of soldiers, and a supporter of our troops, it is very offensive to me when someone disrespects our flag and country. When I go to sports games, assemblies, events, etc., only half of the people in the room put their hand on their heart. I know there are a lot of things going on in our country and in the world right now that some of us may not agree with, but you have your freedom. Respect it.

I am all for equality and equal rights, and I understand that African Americans want to be treated fairly, but this is completely different.

This is an American issue, not a race issue.

If someone feels animosity towards a group of people, speak up, do something, and fight for your rights, but DO NOT disrespect our flag. Many people have fought and lost their lives so that we can live in a country where we are free to speak our minds. How is disrespecting our flag and our nation a protest against police officers? Take these issues up with the police, not our National Anthem. A football game is not the place for a protest. Fans watch the game for entertainment, the love of sports, and a good time. Creating a controversy in the middle of it may turn people away.

While kneeling at a football game is a peaceful protest, there are other ways and more appropriate places, to get a message across, such as marches in the streets or in front of police stations. Some Americans agree with these actions for various reasons. Some believe that they have the right to protest and fight for equality. Some believe that his protests are shedding light on racist, unjust issues in our society. Others are just agreeing because President Trump spoke out about it and they don’t want to be on his side.

Whatever your opinion is on this, I just hope that our country and service men and women know they are appreciated.

There is so much hate and adversity in the world. We can all band together, as a country, for two minutes, and stand for the rights and freedom that we were given because brave men and women fought for those rights and for us. This issue is just dividing our country more when we should be uniting as one, uniting as Americans. America is the land of equality, diversity, opportunity, and freedom. Use that freedom wisely…

Stand up for what you believe in, and stand up for our flag.

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus