Top 7 Songs for the Single Ladies on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

There’s often societal pressures placed upon women to find love and companionship, and Valentine’s Day can force single women to feel lonely.

2018, is the year of the woman, and with this list of empowering songs, Valentine’s Day will be the time to celebrate our single status! Here’s 7 songs for all my single ladies to listen to on Valentine’s Day:

7. “It’s My Life”- No Doubt

Covering Talk Talk’s 1984 classic, “It’s My Life,” No Doubt brought this song to the mainstream in the early 2000s, explaining to listeners that their personal values and decisions reign supreme, even while in a committed relationship. If limitations are held over your head by a significant other, tell them, “It’s my life, don’t you forget,” and march on to bigger and better things as a proudly single woman.

6. “How Many F*****?”- Erika Jayne

Most know her as a reality TV star on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, but Erika Girardi (aka her stage name, Erika Jayne) is also a performer whose song proves that not caring what other people think is sometimes the necessary mindset. Who really cares if it’s Valentine’s Day and you happen to be lounging on the couch with your cat, watching Broad City, enjoying yourself? You’re doing what you love, and that’s what matters.

5. “No Scrubs”- TLC

There’s probably that one guy who crosses your mind when you hear the lyrics to this 90s hit. Ladies, it’s time to expose the boys who “are hanging out of the passenger’s side in his best friends ride,” trying to holler at you…for all the wrong reasons. You deserve more than a “deadbeat,” so don’t be ashamed if you’re waiting for that ideal stud to sweep you off your feet.

4. “Pretty Girl Rock”- Keri Hilson

Two words: Self-love. Kerri Hilson’s message, “Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful,” is a phrase that should resonate with all girls. The single girls this Valentine’s Day must remember that they’re worth it; they don’t need a man to reassure them of their beauty and confidence.

3. “I Will Survive”- Gloria Gaynor

Gloria Gaynor: The empress of moving on from a relationship with dignity and stride. The 70s disco queen reinforces the idea that women can certainly recover from a breakup and thrive as an independent and relentless force, making this an ultimate anthem for single gals.

2. “Man! I Feel Like A Woman!”- Shania Twain

“Let’s go girls.” Shania embraces her power as a female and reminds listeners that, “The best thing about being a woman, is the prerogative to have a little fun,” and that’s for sure. Her free-spirited hit inspires girls to love freely and to enjoy themselves while doing so.

1. “Woman”- Ke$ha

The pop phenomenon, Ke$ha, delivers an official notice to everyone that women have innate capabilities of conquering anything and everything. It’s true; we can provide for ourselves and exceed all expectations, all while riding solo.

Enjoy yourself this Valentine’s Day, and never doubt your womanly instincts as a single lady!

– Alaina DeLeone