collage
collage
Original photo by Nadiyah Timmons

Songs That Are Getting Me Through Junior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

These songs make me want to fix my life and cry at the same time 

I’ve been living a hectic life. Every morning I wake up and look at my calendar and there’s always somewhere to be. I’m Co-CC of this wonderful HC chapter, a senior designer for the Templar Yearbook, an Owl Team Leader, and blah, blah, blah (a handful of other wonderful things). Due to my packed schedule, I’ve been cherishing the songs I queue up for my walk across campus, or to the train station. This line-up MUST get me amped up for the day, so here’s a list of songs that always make it in there somewhere:  

#6 BLEACH by BROCKHAMPTON   

I’m not ashamed to say I still listen to this song in 2022.  

January of this year was a hard time for fans of this boy band, as we had to cope with the fact that they would be going on an indefinite hiatus. Their appearance on the STACKED Minions Rise of Gru soundtrack (which is arguably the best movie soundtrack of the year) gave some of the needed serotonin in these trying times though.   

#5 Ex-Factor by Ms. Lauryn Hill   

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is a certified classic in my book, so I don’t imagine my morning without paying respect to my queen of R&B.   

This song is more than the sample used for “Nice of What” in summer 2018 by Drake; it’s a beautifully sung classic and deserves to be in everyone’s song rotation.   

Listening to Lauryn Hill harmonize “Care,” “There,” “Cry,” and “Give,” at the end of this track is heaven, and it always puts a pep in my step.   

#4 Coming Down by Ari Lennox & Dreamville  

There’s a theme here, surely. Every time Ari Lennox sings in a Dreamville project, I hear exactly why J. Cole added her to the roster. Her soulful voice mixes with the modern flows of R&B on this sample of “I’m Going Down,” By Rose Royce so well.   

When I heard this song for the first time, I felt like I was bathing in nostalgia and lathering with the soap of something new that I just knew I would soon obsess over.   

#3 Cocoon by 070 Shake   

I’ve posted about this song on my Instagram twice already, and now I’m including it in this article because there’s something hypnotizing about the vibes.   

I first heard Shake on “Ghost Town” by Kanye West, but I finally put a name to a voice once rumors of her and Kehlani dating began to circulate, and I’ve been hooked since.   

Having just released an album and an EP this year with other bangers like “Body” and “Guilty Conscience,” 070 Shake produces euphoric vibes that make me feel like the main character waking up for a morning of adventures.  

#2 Wat’s Wrong by Isaiah Rashad, Zacari & Kendrick Lamar   

I feel the line “oh, sometimes I get so ahead of myself” heavy in my heart somewhere. I don’t know if it’s the delivery or the words, but sometimes I do get ahead of myself, turned around, and stressed out for sure.   

The Kendrick verse on this track embodies everything that I love about the way he delivers his lines. Filled with his signature rhymes, cleverness, and quick delivery. And of course, who doesn’t love a song with Isaiah Rashad on it? 

#1 When He’s Done by Tei Shi   

This is another sad one, so sorry if you expected me to be a happier person. The chorus of this song makes me feel like I’m floating while walking to my destination, I’ve listened to it so often for months and I’m still not tired of it.    

Shi’s music works so well in playlists with other artists that I love like Raveena, Mereba, or Frank Ocean. Oddly enough, I found this song in my Spotify Discover Weekly, and the recommendations haven’t been able to live up to this one just yet.  

I’ve already exposed my weird podcast obsessions on this platform, so I figured it was only fitting that I also let you all know that I listen to the same six songs almost every day. Music is such an important part of my life, and I think that what you listen to has a lot of carryovers into your personal values and even the outlook you have on your day. Therefore, I start mine with these songs because they feel like home, and optimism all jumbled into one.   

If you listen to them let me know if you like @nadiyahmae!   

Temple '23 journalism major with a love for activism, fashion, and J. Cole.