The Rap Albums That Should’ve Been Nominated for GRAMMYs

It’s that time of the year again. The air is colder, the days are shorter, and the 2020 GRAMMY Awards have released their list of nominees. This year marks the show’s 62nd anniversary, which is set to air on CBS on January 26. There is obviously a wide array of categories like Best New Artist, Best Performances and, of course, Album of the Year. The one I have the most to say about, though, is Best Rap Album. Every year, an anonymous group of members of the Recording Academy are in charge of which artists get nominated, and every year, without fail, they miss the mark. At least a little bit. There is not very much information out there about how exactly this group picks their nominees, but each year reinforces that the system is flawed. 

The nominees for Best Rap Album, according to the GRAMMYs, includes Dreamville’s “Revenge of the Dreamers III,” Meek Mill’s “Championships,” 21 Savage’s “I Am > I Was,” “IGOR” by Tyler, The Creator, and finally “The Lost Boy” by YBN Cordae. 

This is a relatively predictable list, and I don’t disagree with all of it. “The Lost Boy” was YBN Cordae’s debut album, and it absolutely deserved its spot on the list. I could say the same about ROTD3, which was a huge moment for hip-hop this year. Dreamville, J. Cole’s record label, created a collaborative record by bringing countless artists and producers from all different backgrounds together to produce one cohesive piece. I loved that album for what it stood for, and the songs are definitely deserving of a nomination. However, IGOR, in my opinion, was not even a rap album. Tyler, The Creator has been veering away from his rapping career and moving more towards singing. That being said, this album was not a rap album, and I don’t think it was even intended to be one. I don’t really have a comment for 21 Savage or Meek Mill’s album because I assume that they were just nominated for being mainstream rap albums and easy picks to satisfy the category. 

I know what you’re thinking, if you disagree with the GRAMMYs, what albums did deserve a nomination for Rap Album of the Year? Well, I am one step ahead of you. Here is my list:

1. 1. “Bandana” - Freddie Gibbs and Madlib

Great rapper. Great producer. Huge oversight by the GRAMMYs.

2. 2. “Escape From New York” - Flatbush Zombies

I was not expecting this album to get nominated, but it was better than every album on their list and definitely deserves some recognition. 

3. 3. “So Much Fun” - Young Thug

This was not my favorite album, but again, it’s a much better contender for the award.

4. 4. “Revenge of the Dreamers III” - Dreamville

Maybe I’m biased because I love Dreamville, but I have to agree with the original list on the one.

5. 5. “Perfect Ten” by DJ Mustard

It’s a more mainstream album than I typically go for, but this is also a much better contender.

In conclusion, it is verging on disturbing how little the GRAMMYs understands about rap. That is all I have to say.