Breast Cancer Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Over the years, I would hear a friend of mine mention that their aunt or grandmother has or had recently defeated breast cancer. It never really hit me how serious this widespread disease was until someone close to me was diagnosed. My mother.

Breast Cancer is the most common cancer among American women (after skin cancer). Today, approximately 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.  The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2009, approximately 192,370 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer and approximately 40,610 will die.  Researchers have revealed that the mortality rate could decrease by 30% if all women 50 and older regularly got a mammogram.

When my mother found a lump in her breast, she did what some women fail to do; she went to her doctor and had a mammogram performed. While very few actually ignore symptoms and go without being treated, there are still enough women who fail to have an annual mammogram. Waiting it off and thinking the lump may go away results in the cancer worsening or even spreading to other areas of the body. Since my mother took quick action, she has become one of the many lucky women who have won their battle against breast cancer.

There are many organizations that donate money to help Breast Cancer research. One of the most well known is the Susan G. Komen foundation, which has the main mission of “making a world without breast cancer a reality.”  The foundation sponsors events such as the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, and it also collects generous contributions from partners, sponsors and fellow supporters. The foundation has become the largest global source of non-profit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer. 

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. And as this month quickly ends, please remember all of those who have been affected by breast cancer, whether it be an aunt, cousin, friend, teacher, sister, or even someone as close to you as your mother. 

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!