Best ‘Chow-Down’ Hairstyles for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s that time of year; we’re sick of the quizzes, tests, and we’re also sick of the same old dining hall food. That’s right…I’m ready for a real homemade meal instead of Chic Fil A and Twisted Taco.

Bring on the turkey, mashed potatoes, and famous green bean casserole. Along with all this good food comes worrying about your hair becoming an ingredient on your plate, and no one wants that. Here, you’ll find some great hairstyles, perfect for enjoying Thanksgiving dinner…safely!

1. The High Ponytail

When you’re going to be seeing the whole family around the holidays, you want to look chic, but only with convenience. One of my favorite go-to’s is a good high ponytail. I remember when I was younger, it was a big ‘no-no’ to ever wear a ponytail to a formal event, but now celebrities and all of our friends are wearing them everywhere. All of our favorites rock the high pony on the daily… Beyonce, Kendall Jenner, and they never look sloppy. If you do the high pony right, you’ll look sleek and glamorous.

You can also add gold ponytail cuff to add a little something to the look.

If you aren’t a fan of the high ponytail, try a lower one and add a bow to spice it up!

2. Milkmaid Braid

So this is a hard hairstyle to pull off, but if this a look that works for you then it looks super cute. If you pair it with a dressy outfit, it gives off the message that you know what you’re doing. There are tons of tutorials on Youtube teaching viewers how to braid their hair, so practice a few times before the holidays and you’re all set.

One of my favorite bloggers, Julia Engel of “Gal Meets Glam” knows how to do so many cute and sophisticated hairstyles, including the milkmaid braid.

3. Half-up, half-down

I wore this hairdo when I was little (like everyday). The nice thing about this hairstyle is that it doesn’t take a ton of time, and it gives you the look of having your hair down without having it in your face, which is perfect for Thanksgiving. You can perfect this style with either straight or curly hair, so minimal effort has to be put into it and always looks super cute.

4. Low Bun

Another hairstyle that some gals wear on the sports field and others wear to a fancy dinner. This is a great way to keep your hair out of your face, and still look super cute. Plus, for girls that don’t feel like putting a lot of time into styling their hair, this is an easy go-to! You can even add a braid going back to dress it up more.

Well, I guess I will sign off and go watch some tutorials on hairstyles now, you guys aren’t the only ones that have to prepare a look for turkey day. And remember…soon enough we will be back at Temple eating Chic-Fil-A and the dining halls, so take advantage of all of that good, homemade food while you’re home.

Happy Thanksgiving!