Avocados: The Sexy Green Super Fruit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Looking for ways to spice up your diet? One of the most nutritional and yummy fruits (yes it is a fruit) out there are avocados. These delectable rounds of joy are just waiting in your local produce section to be scooped up and added to your monotonous salad. Their rough textured, leather-looking skin gives off a false illusion that in no way should be judged. Inside this dark harsh skin lies a heavenly creamy and luscious center.

Avocados are best enjoyed when they are ripe. Give the fruit a feel and if it gives when applying pressure, this is a good indication it is ripe. It should not be extremely firm. Also take notice of the skin color. If the avocado is a lighter green, be warned it is not ready to be consumed. You want the skin to be a very dark green, almost blackish color. It is perfectly okay to buy them if they are not ripe. A great trick to speed up the process is to place them in a brown paper bag with an apple. They’ll be ready to eat in no time.

Some people are reluctant about this fruit due to rumors of it being “high in fat.” As females we know there is only sometimes a glimpse of truth in a dirty, reputation-ruining rumor. Avocados are high in fat, but we aren’t talking about saturated fats that come with indulging in a cheeseburger and fries. This fruit contains “good” fats that our bodies need a small amount of everyday.

The majority of the fat found in an avocado is monounsaturated which research has shown to reduce cholesterol levels and cholesterol related heart diseases. There are 13 vitamins our body absolutely needs and avocados naturally supply some of them. Vitamins like Vitamin K, potassium, folate, vitamin E, vitamin C and lutein are all extremely beneficial nutritional aspects avocados provide. These nutrients help muscle growth, reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke, prevent eye diseases and provide the body with many antioxidants.

Convinced you are going to give this fruit a chance? We’re glad. Here are some amazing recipes to start including avocados in your diet today!

Avocado-Tomato Melt Sandwich

Ingredients

4 English Muffins, split

1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1-2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced thin
coarse salt
¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven broiler to high. Under the broiler, toast English muffin halves on a baking sheet until golden brown. Remove from oven.
Top each muffin half with sliced avocados and sliced tomatoes; lightly salt the tomatoes.
Sprinkle chopped basil leaves over the tomatoes. Put a layer of mozzarella cheese over the basil, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, and top with black pepper.
Broil prepared muffin halves for approximately 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and enjoy!

Makes 4 servings.

Guacamole 

Ingredients

4 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced

Directions

Cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl. (I use my hands.) Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and toss well. Using a sharp knife, slice through the avocados in the bowl until they are finely diced. Add the tomatoes. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-nutrients/

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-avocados.html

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sandwich/AvocadoTomatoMelt.htm

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/guacamole-recipe/index.html

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!