Glow Light?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Glow Light?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Casper
Style > Decor

Alternative Lighting to Overhead Lights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Tired of harsh overhead lighting, check out these relaxing alternative choices!

For many, being in rooms with strong fluorescent lights can be stressful. College students especially experience the overwhelmingly bright lighting in dorms, classrooms, study rooms, and halls. There are lots of options for people to reduce stress and lighten up. Here are some lights that can be used in rooms and apartments to create a calming environment.

1. Sunset Lamps: Sunset lamps are said to help with sleep cycles and chemicals in the brain. Sunset lamps mimic sunshine and can be helpful during darker times of the year when students often struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder and motivation. There are many options to purchase online. Additionally, sunset lamps can be color changing to make a fun, vibrant atmosphere. 
  2. Himalayan Salt Lamps: Salt lamps create a warm feeling in a space. They often have dimmers so that you can adjust the brightness and choose how you’d like to set the room. They are also said to be good for air and clearing a space.
  3. String Lights: These lights can be easily adjustable and really brighten up a room. String lights come in a variety of colors, sizes, and lengths. Colored lights can bring some creativity into a space whereas white lights can provide less harsh lighting. Fairy lights also warm up a room.
  4. Neon Lights: Neon lights can be a fun way to decorate a room while being colorful and vibrant. They can be customizable which opens up fun opportunities for roommates to liven up their space. Neon lights are perfect for both parties, and relaxing.
  5. Flameless Candles: For people living in dorms that don’t allow candles or flames, flameless candles are a great alternative. They mimic the small light of candles and can be put around your room for various lights.

There are many options for combating stress and overstimulation from harsh lighting. Lots of stores and online shops offer these lights. They are all great alternatives for making your space personable and calming.

Jeanne Burge

Temple '24

Jeanne is a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. She is from Wallingford, PA.