Spring Day Trips Near TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

After a long and bitterly cold Jersey winter, the sprouting daffodils, chirping birds, and rippling breeze have all collegiettes on campus ready for spring!  The balmy weather has collegiettes itching to embrace the outdoors, and we’ve collected some of the best places around TCNJ to truly enjoy springtime!

1. Grounds For Sculpture

Right down the road in Trenton, NJ, Grounds For Sculpture comes to life during the spring. The 42-acre sculpture garden features over 270 sculptures intricately placed among blooming flowers and along hidden paths. For a delicious meal, grab lunch at the Rat’s Restaurant, located on the grounds.  

2. Washington Crossing State Park

There are 15 miles of walking trails located throughout Washington Crossing State Park. Go for a leisurely stroll and appreciate the natural beauty of the Garden State!

3. Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA

These two quaint towns are located on the opposite sides of the Delaware River. Only 25 minutes from TCNJ, head to Lambertville and then walk across the bridge to New Hope! Spend the day walking through the town streets, popping in and out of boutiques and enjoying a meal at one of the dozens of restaurants.

4. Philadelphia Zoo

Visit America’s first zoo and come face-to-face with the zoo’s 1300 animals. Located on a 42-acre campus adjacent to the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Zoo also features a paddleboat lake, a rainforest themed carousel and other interactive exhibits.

5. Columbus Farmers Market

Located on Route 206 in Columbus, NJ, Columbus Farmers Market is one of the state’s oldest and largest flea markets. There are hundreds of market booths and over 65 inside retail stores. Pick up some cool bargains and some Jersey fresh produce!

6. Camping in the Pine Barrens

If you want a more rustic outdoor experience, look no further than New Jersey’s own backyard, the Pine Barrens.  With more than 1.1 million acres in Pinelands National Reserve, there is plenty of space to embrace your inner Girl Scout. Go camping, canoeing, or hiking. Just watch out for the Jersey Devil!

7. Belmar

Who doesn’t love sand between their toes and the sound of waves crashing in the background? All beaches in New Jersey are beautiful, but Belmar is the closest beach driving directly east from TCNJ. Escape the stress of approaching finals and take a day trip to the shore with friends.