My Life as a Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I have been vegetarian my entire life, nearly 20 years. For me, being vegetarian is more than abstaining from meat; it is an opportunity to connect with my religion, as well as carry on my family’s tradition. However, when I tell others that I am vegetarian, they see it as a weakness. Upon finding out that I am vegetarian, many people usually ask “how could you live without eating meat,” but honestly, it is pretty easy. The motivation that drove me to write this is to show people that being vegetarian is not a death-sentence, nor does it close me off to amazing global cuisine. So, I have outlined what I eat on a typical day, because for many, what vegetarians actually consume is a mystery.

In the morning, I typically eat cereal with milk. Veganism is often confused with vegetarianism, and the main difference between the two diets is consumption of dairy products. Breakfast is not too difficult for vegetarians, because we can eat waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, and other non-meat containing items. As an Indian, much of the food that is produced is completely vegetarian; therefore, breakfast consists of a variety of food items such as dosa and idly.

On TCNJ’s campus, lunch options are pretty monotonous for vegetarians. I typically order sandwiches without meat, bagels, and consume all types of Mexican food items. I find that in Mexican cuisine, there are many vegetarian options because the food is rooted in fresh produce. However, on a typical weekend, I may consume salad, but most likely I go back to Indian food because quite literally, there are many restaurants in this area dedicated solely to vegetarian cooking. Indian food is the ideal cuisine for vegetarians, because not only is it filling, but also the food is quite flavorful.

For most dinners, I load up on protein in the form of beans and lentils. I consume a ton of rice, which gives me enough energy for a long time. At TCNJ, I would typically eat a burrito stuffed with beans because it is yet another way for me to get the most protein. However, I usually consume steamed vegetables, pasta, and any other vegetarian food available in the dining hall.

Though I have written a brief outline about being vegetarian in college, there are numerous ways to get the best food available, without compromising taste because of meat. Being vegetarian is not hard, it just requires creativity!

If millions of people have been following this diet for thousands of years, then it is certainly something anyone can try to do. Numerous athletes, such as world #1 tennis player Novak Djokovic, and celebrities such as Zendaya, have completely sworn off meat, and it has changed their lives for the better. Being vegetarian has allowed me to reconnect with my faith as well as lead a disciplined and healthy lifestyle.

A Sophomore Biology major at The College of New Jersey, who has an affinity for fashion, beauty, pop culture, and anything with humor!