MTV’s Catfish’s Nev Schulman Tells It Like It Is to TCNJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

There is one thing that almost everyone has in common – we are all searching for love.  Whether it be the old-fashioned meet-cute ways of the movies or the exciting and mysterious ways of the internet, we all strive to love and be loved.

But what happens when we aren’t sure if the person we love is really the person they say they are?  This is where Nev Schulman of MTV’s hit show Catfish comes into play.

After falling for a girl on the internet only to find out she wasn’t who she said she was, 28-year-old Nev has committed his life (well kind of) to helping others figure out if they have fallen in love with a “catfish” or not. (There are more fish in the sea, right?)

But before season one comes to an end tonight, Nev sat down with Her Campus TCNJ and the rest of the College at this semester’s Welcome Back Lecture brought to us by CUB.  Nev offered us advice on life, love and the ways of social media.

“I think we are just sort of getting to the heart of an important issue,” said Nev. “We all continue to spend more and more time online and the technology continues to replace physical reality in a lot of things.”

Nev explained how so many people in today’s society depend on the internet as a means for connecting, but that it is affecting all of us in more way than one.

“This has completely inspired me to really look at, discuss and consider the implications of social media, connectivity and the implications of how we all live our lives both online and off. [My experience] affected me personally and how I choose to interact with the people around me.”

But don’t think he is a pessimist people.  Nev came to this conclusion after a life of confusion.  After getting kicked out of elementary school, middle school, high school, oh and college, he was still able to find a way to be a successful person – both professionally and personally.  That’s right ladies – he is taken (and he didn’t meet her online).

“I met her in person at a party” said Nev. “It was very old-fashioned. In a weird way my online relationship gone wrong led to my real life relationship gone right.”

So it is possible ladies to find true love outside of the internet. Take advice from this cute catfish expert and stick to the old fashioned ways of romance. And remember that there are always implications when it comes to the internet.

Watch the season finale of Catfish tonight on MTV at 11 p.m. for more information on how not to get catfished and hopefully meet your soulmate.

Check out some more advice that Nev offered students at TCNJ:

1. Be brutally honest with yourself and find people who are willing to do the same.

2. Be part of a team.  Surround yourself with people that are better than you. Relationships are everything.

3. If you work hard and are kind, amazing things will happen. (Originally said by Conan O’Brien, reiterated by Nev)

4. Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

5. Make it count.

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.