felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

10 Fun Recycling Crafts to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

As climate change and environmental issues are gaining more awareness in the public eye, these are fun and creative ways that college kids can upcycle their unwanted goods. Here are ten creative ways to upcycle common items.

Cardboard Roll Picture Frame

Here is a fun way to decorate your room and display some memories with this adorable photo frame. Recycle your old magazines by creating paper rolls to spruce up a picture frame. Don’t be afraid to try new styles and patterns.

Find instructions here.

Bread Tab Magnets

Want to hang items on your mini-fridge? For this project, you can really upcycle any item you like. For this example, decorate some bread tabs to make small magnets to hang items on your mini-fridge. 

Check out materials and instructions here.

Painted CD Art

Have any old CDs you don’t use anymore? Paint them to make cool wall art or make a wind chime to hang in your dorm. Don’t be afraid to use your creativity!

Here are wind chime materials and instructions. 

Bottle Planters

Bring some nature into your room with these fun bottle planters. These are easy to both make and manage. You can use small bottles or big plastic containers, whatever works best for you!

Check out materials and instructions here

Can Desk Organizer

Use some old cans to make this adorable desk organizer. This will be helpful to organize school supplies, art supplies, and so much more. Use vibrant colors to brighten up your workspace.

Instructions are found here.

CD Holiday Wreath

Have fun decorating your dorm for upcoming holidays with a CD wreath. You can paint your wreath to be specific for a holiday or just decorate your dorm’s door with one. Find out how to make it in this video.

Tissue Box Light

Turn your old tissue boxes into inspired desk organizers. This is a great way to organize any loose materials lying on your desk. You can even decorate to match the theme of your room or supplies. Find out how to make it here

T-Shirt Bag

Have any unwanted t-shirts? Turn them into this adorable tote. Be sure to show off your new bag to all of your friends. Make it here

T-Shirt Pillowcase

You can also use unwanted t-shirts to make decorative pillow covers. These covers will add a unique accent to your dorm room. And there is no sewing involved! Find out how to make this here.

Denim Bags

Upcycle an old pair of jeans to make these adorable little bags to help organize your dorm space. Use them to organize drawers, a desk space, shelves, and more. These little bags are simple and don’t require any sewing! Find instructions here.

Don’t be afraid to be creative with any of these projects, and be sure to share how yours turned out with friends and family!

Hannah is a double major in Psychology and Environmental Studies at TCNJ. She has artistic hobbies such as painting and singing, and loves to play sports. She is always looking to explore new opportunities and be adventurous.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.