This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Friendship Month, I decided to look at some of the best female friendships from some of my favorite shows. Also, I do talk about all the seasons of the different shows, so there are some spoilers. I apologize in advance. 

Rachel Green and Monica Gellar (Friends)

This friendship is just iconic (I mean, the show is literally called Friends!) These two were BFFs in high school and reconnected years later. They even end up living in the same apartment for six years after meeting again. They are always supportive of each other, like when Rachel gets pregnant and when Monica decides to move in with Chandler. They are always pushing each other to be the best version of themselves, which is what friendship is all about. 

Haley James Scott and Brooke Davis (One Tree Hill)

Though this duo is not as iconic as Brooke and Peyton, I believe this friendship is 100x better and healthier. These two first become friends in season 3 after deciding to live together. The “tutor girl” and head cheerleader make a weird friendship that we cannot help but love and cheer for. One of the sweetest moments of this friendship is when Haley decides to make Brooke her son’s godmother. It was such a sweet moment to watch after seeing this friendship develop after two seasons. Haley and Brooke get closer and closer throughout the rest of the nine seasons, and it is an amazing and genuine friendship to watch.

Alex Russo and Harper Finkle (Wizards of Waverly Place)

I had a hard time deciding to either include these two or Miley and Lily from Hannah Montana in this article. In the end, I decided on this friendship for two main reasons. 1) Alex and Harper love each other for exactly who they are. Alex loves and supports Harper’s quirkiness and craziness and never asks for her to change. In the same way, Harper encourages Alex to be a better person without wishing she would change, which is the very definition of friendship in my book. 2) Harper kept Alex’s biggest secret (being a wizard) and understands why it is so important to Alex. 

Rosa Diaz and  Amy Santiago (Brooklyn 99)

Brooklyn 99 is a show that is filled with not only great female friendships, but male friendships and female-male friendships as well. One of the best friendships on the show is between Rosa and Amy. Both know the struggle of working in a male-dominated field, and both are never shy to support and help one another. Though Rosa may not always show it, it is very clear to viewers how much Rosa truly values her friendship with Amy and how they both just want each other to be happy. 

Max and Eleven (Stranger Things)

Though their friendship may be pretty new, it still has a huge impact on both characters and the show. Both have only hung out with a group of boys and are each others’ first real gal pal. Max teaches El all about how she can be powerful without boys and how to have fun. In turn, El helps comfort Max after her brother dies. They certainly have come a long way from their first meeting, where Eleven straight-up ignores Max. Their friendship was a pivotal part of season three, and I cannot wait to see how it further develops throughout the rest of the show.

Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University