Alternative St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

March 17th, an infamous day on most, if not all, college campuses. For most college students, it is a chance to get in touch with your Irish roots, whether they exist or not. But for some students, dressing up in all the green things you own and becoming a hooligan isn’t exactly desirable. If you’re looking for something to do on St. Patrick’s Day besides pretend to be Irish, Susquehanna University students have organized several events that will be taking place on Saturday, March 17th. The following events will be taking place at SU – show some school spirit while rocking your (not so) Irish pride.

Susquehanna Crusader’s Sporting Events

After all of the school spirit that was shown at the men’s basketball games last month, why not share the love by supporting the spring sports at SU?

• Men’s Tennis has a match at 1pm vs. Catholic

• Women’s Tennis has a match at 1pm vs. Catholic

• Men’s Lacrosse 2:30 vs. Drew

Charity Events

These events on campus will be supporting great causes! Why not show your philanthropic side and check out some of your classmates while they are hard at work?

• Green Out” for the American Red Cross: Support the men’s rugby club team as they face off against Haverford College at 1pm. The team will be wearing special green jerseys to support the Snyder, Union and Northumberland Area Chapter of the American Red Cross. If you are feeling generous, donations will also be collected at the game.
  • WQSU’s Rock the Cause Music Festival: WQSU, Susquehanna’s student run radio station will be hosting a music festival to raise money for the David E. Stefanovige Memorial Fund that commemorates the life of SU alum David Stefanovige. The following artists will be performing:

Sixty
    Hot Jam Factory
    Claudia Bartoli
    Future Games
    Nottingham
    Janet Angrysoul Carey
    Last Full Measure
    Josh Schott
    Kalob Griffin Band

Tickets will be sold at the door but there will be a limited number so please purchase or reserve your tickets as soon as possible at the Box Office from March 12 to the 17.

$5 For all students (from any school are university) Simply bring your ID
    $7: For all Non-students
    ** All proceeds will be given to the scholarship fund**

• THE END: Senior Graphic Design and Art Exhibition 2012: at 7pm in the Lore Degenstein Gallery (located across the hall from Deg theater), check out all of the hard work of the graphic design and art majors in Susquehanna’s class of 2012. Come check out the END result of the seniors’ hard work and see a range of different projects. Refreshments will be served, too! 

Don’t forget that if you are going to go the traditional route this St. Patrick’s Day, be safe! Get a designated driver and watch out for yourself AND your friends!

Sources:
http://www.susqu.edu/mens_rugby/photo%20gallery.htm

Jackie Newell is a junior with a double major in International Studies and Spanish. She is originally from Cape Elizabeth, Maine but takes on the nine hour challenge to attend Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania. This passed semester (fall 2011) Jackie studied in Alicante, Spain studying Spanish, culture and art. Jackie is very involved on the Susquehanna campus including serving as the freshman class President, sophomore class Vice President, member of the club ice hockey team, freshmen orientation team leader, Panhellenic Recruitment Counselor and the Vice President of Philanthropy for the Epsilon Delta chapter of Sigma Kappa. Jackie is the current Campus Correspondent for the Susquehanna University branch of Her Campus.