Planning Your October Book List so You Don’t Have to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As we near the colder temperatures, quietly reading is the highlight of the season. Multiple genres—ranging from mystery, thriller, or fantasy—all make it to my TBR lists for the fall season (aka the best months of the year!). For this month, I have 3 recommendations (plus my personal read of the month) to check out during the month of October!  

If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio 

For dark academia lovers, this book follows the unraveling plot to the arrest of Oliver Marks, a former student who may or may not have committed a murder. Studying Shakespeare at Dellecher Classical Conservatory, six students drive the question of what really happened before the murder their friend (Oliver) served ten years in prison for.  

My initial reaction to reading this was the familiar Dead Poets Society story line, and I found myself loving it just as much. Regardless of the ache that remains in my heart from the ending, this book blends dark academia, mystery, and suspense perfectly.  

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides 

Seeing this eerie cover, I was even more hooked when I read the first line, and it will hook any psychological thriller and mystery lover too. The story behind this page-turning novel follows Theo Faber, a criminal psychologist, who investigates the case of a wife who brutally murders her husband, shooting him 5 times. After his murder, she never speaks again. Determined to find the reason behind her silence, Theo must follow the intense path to uncover the mystery while dealing with his own mysterious life.  

My head was everywhere at once while reading this, and constantly found myself shocked after every chapter. After reading this in two days, it will be the most addictive read for October. 

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn 

For those who aren’t the biggest thriller and mystery genres, this YA Fantasy recommendation is perfect. With easy-to-follow world building and enjoyable characters the book follows the life of Bree Matthews, whose mother tragically dies in an unexpected accident. Navigating her life at UNC Chapel Hill, she finds a secret society of “Legendborn” who hunts creatures. Revealing the history of Legendborn, she must use her powers to decide whether to join or fight against them whilst uncovering information on her mother’s past.  

I often find myself to fall under reading slumps from a complicated fantasy outline, however, this book kept me interested throughout. Leaving off on the BIGGEST cliffhanger—Deonn’s sequel Bloodmarked is to be released November 8th, 2022, which you can find me reading it AS SOON as it’s displayed in any bookstore. 

As for my planned book to read this month, I hope to read and later review Love in the Time of Serial Killers by Alicia Thompson, where true crime meets modern dating. This is one of my most anticipated reads for the fall season.  

Happy reading! 

Aiko is a freshman majoring in English with a concentration in literature. Her hobbies include reading, writing, crocheting, and collecting vinyls. Future articles you may see are book and film reviews, lifestyle posts, and personal experiences!