Harry Styles returns to the music world with release of “As It Was”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With 2022 now in full swing and spring almost here, there has been a number of newly released movies, scandals, and music. One of the world’s most famous and well-known singers, Harry Styles, has announced the release of his third studio album, “Harry’s House”, on May 20th and has already released the first song on the track.

The song entitled “As It Was”, released on April 1st, was an immediate success and even smashed multiple records on listening platforms such as Spotify. With 8.3 million streams during the first day only, it can be safe to say that it is definitely a hit.

Harry Styles has been a fan favorite for years due to his talent and popularity when he was still apart of the boy band One Direction, who formed in 2010 but went on an indefinite hiatus in 2016. While the other boys in the band have also grown in their own style of music, Styles has undoubtedly become the most listened to since their split.

The drop of his new song “As It Was” came with the package deal of both a single and a music video as well, which can be streamed through the YouTube platform. The video itself contains a wide variety of scenes meshed together in a similar style to that of his past music videos “Golden” and “Watermelon Sugar”. Throughout the video, the audience is shown clips of scenes where Harry is walking through a crowded building, walking on a turning table with a woman in an empty room, standing on an elected platform with interpretive dancers above a pool,
and in a room decorated from floor to ceiling in art.

Harry can also be seen rocking two distinct outfits throughout the video, which have definitely caught the eyes of viewers. Harry is well-known for his fashionable looks and has had a large impact on the fashion community, particularly with his efforts of normalizing of gender fluidity in clothing.

In the video, Harry is first seen wearing a bright red coat from Bianca Saunders’ fall 2022 collection, as well as a long black scarf from Dries Van Noten’s fall 2022 collection. This look doesn’t last long, as he quickly transitions into wearing a custom bright red jumpsuit by Arturo Obegero. The eye catching outfit is covered in red sequins and is from the designer’s signature sleeveless top design from his Noir Quenelle collection. Finally, as the video goes on, Harry takes off the jumpsuit to reveal a pair of red boxers underneath. These German brand Merz B. Schwanen boxers were specially dyed red for the video, as they originally were just plain white.

With the song being about love and an aching heart, many have speculated as to who it might be about. Although it isn’t known for sure, the track is thought to be about Harry’s girlfriend Olivia Wilde whom he has been dating since January of 2021. A number of lines throughout the song are what have hinted to this theory. Lyrics such as “Leave America, two kids follow her,” have caused a stir, due to the fact that Wilde currently has two kids with her previous husband, actor Jason Sudeikis, although nobody knows for sure if it is about her.

Overall, “As It Was” has set high expectations and hopes for fans for the rest of the songs on the album. Now it’s only a matter of waiting a month and a half for it to come out!

2013 Tiger Beat Enthusiast Psychology Major Lover of ALL Dogs