What Baristas Want You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

During my first year of college, I began my first job ever as Starbucks barista here on campus. Things happened and I ended up leaving the job after about 8 months. However, over the summer, I ended up reapplying to a corporate Starbucks store and now I have been working there for close to 3 months. Never the less, no matter what Starbucks I was working at, there are a few things that your fellow baristas would like you to know before ordering your Pumpkin Spice Lattes this season….or any season!

Know What Size You Want and Say It First!

Many people who come to Starbucks do not just want a regular coffee, they usually want the custom six pump, nonfat, no foam, no water chai. Hey, you do you! But, when I put your order in I have to put in the size in order to go on to the drink. If you listed seven things you want in your latte and then I have to ask what size you want, I’m probably not going to remember and then we have to start from the top. So when you start your order, say “I would like a [enter drink size] [drink order]” and you may make some barista’s day.

Do Not Crowd the Table Where Finished Drinks Are

If you ordered a second ago and it is an 8 a.m. rush, your drink will not be out for probably a few minutes. Making the barista nervous because you are so close you are practically over the table is not cool. Just wait behind the table at a reasonable distance and we promise we will get your drink out ASAP!

Do Not Assume the Barista Knows a “Secret Menu Item”

We probably do not know what you are talking about. Butter Beer Frap? Sounds good but I have no clue how to make that.

Please Don’t Be Mad if a Menu Item is Seasonal

I am sorry the S’mores Frap was your favorite drink, but I cannot make it after the first part of the summer. It is the store policy and I do not have the ingredients to make it anymore. Oh, and we do not have the Unicorn Frap. Thank god.Finally but most importantly…

Do Not Come in Five Minutes before Close and Order a Bunch of Frappuccinos

Most Baristas agree that it the worst moment when your pre-closed station is now covered in milk and java chips because you wanted five Fraps. It also takes a long time and we will probably be making them after closing time, which means we stay longer to clean. Just come in at a reasonable time for your Fraps, and your barista will thank you for it.

These tips will help you be on the barista’s favorite list, and make you a model Starbucks customer.

Hello! I am a Biochemistry major in Stony Brook University with a passion for writing. I enjoy composing music, baking and beauty products.I think it is important it speak out and have a voice. That's why I am happy to be apart of hercampus!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor