Life > Experiences

Being Successful to yourself, not to the world

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It’s crazy to think that for some of us, life is just a decision away from being the best thing that we ever imagined. Some of us dreamed of being poets, writers, educators, scientists, and more, yet here we are, waiting for that perfect moment. But what if that perfect moment, was waiting for you?

A lot of people will wonder how it is, that the people we admire the most, got to where they are now. We envy those people, don’t we? We wish that we had what we could only dream of having. I believe that dreaming and wishing is the biggest problem with society today. We all want what we can’t have. But we never strive for what we could be without the luxury, without the handouts, and frankly, without the praise. We just want to be acknowledged for what we are and for how far being ourselves can get us.

Instead of wishing, we should be doing and the best way to do that is to be open to who we are. If you love to sing your heart out at a local karaoke bar, go sing! If you find passion in recreating Shakespeare’s best scenes on a stage, find your Broadway! Life is about taking those chances and doing whatever it is that makes you feel it all and there is no shame is taking the risks that you would tell yourself that you would never do.

As women, we always strive for more. We could have the best position in the line of work we are in, but we still want more which is something that as women, we should be proud of. Today, women are praised for being empowered, they are praised for all their hard work, and for the young women like ourselves that have the numerous amounts of roles models that we have, we should take the time to recognize that they were once in our shoes. Women such as Nirmala Sitharaman who became to be an economist and politician serving the Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, our favorite idols such as Rihanna, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Oprah Winfrey, and the list goes on. Nothing was handed to some of these women yet here we are, wondering how they got there and there is only one true answer, hard work, and dedication.

We need to accept that we won’t always make the right decisions, that we’ll screw up royally sometimes- understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of success.”

-Adrianna Huffington

Welcome! My name is Jasmine Cruz and I am a junior at Stony Brook. I am a Political Science major with the intent to go to law school after. I love to write and make others feel empowered as well as feeling all sorts of emotions with my writing. Thanks for reading !