6 Must See Foreign Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Tired of the same old dramas, thrillers, and comedies? Have you tried watching foreign movies? If not, start with the following must sees. 

1. Life is Beautiful (1997)

An Italian classic that takes place during the Holocaust, starring Academy Award winner Roberto Benigni.

FYI: You may need some tissues! 

2. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

Now don’t mistake this movie for the 2011 adaption starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara. This is the actual Swedish drama feature film based on the book written by Stieg Larsson. Currently available to stream on Netflix!  

3. Like Water for Chocolate (1992)

Based on the novel Como Agua Para Chocolate, Like Water for Chocolate is a story surrounded by magical realism, a forbidden love, and a desire to express oneself through food.

4. Narcos (TV Series 2015-Current)

The hit series on Netflix captures the story of the Medellín drug cartel and the infamous drug lord, Pablo Escobar.

5. He Loves Me…He Loves Me Not (2002)

A French psychological drama film with a surprising twist at the end!

You can watch the full movie here.

6. Cinema Paradiso (1988)

An Oscar winning film in which a filmmaker recalls his childhood, where he fell in love with movies and formed a strong relationship with the theater’s projectionist.

Currently available to stream on Netflix!  

Tiffany is a senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Business Management. She’s an avid chocolate lover, enjoys traveling, taking pictures and baking. One day she aspires to speak Spanish fluently.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor