This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Halloween is a whole event in the collegiate world. The costumes, the parties, the campus activities – all of these and more make this holiday arguably the best one to celebrate during these four years of our lives. Halloween in college is more than just one day, so it’s important to be prepared for what’s to come. Here are some tips for surviving Halloweekend in its entirety:

1. Eat Before You Go Out

​The most crucial first step is to make sure you eat a sufficient meal before your night out. Healthline advises that “What you eat before drinking alcohol will affect how you feel at the end of the night and the morning after.”  Aim for foods packed with protein and healthy fats, such as chicken, salmon, and oats. Eating before will help slow down the absorption rate of alcohol, which allows you to sustain yourself longer. Head to the diner if you anticipate a long night of drinking.  

photo via Aim Hospitality

2. Stick with Your Group

​Being safe is as important as having fun; in fact, dangerous situations or unsafe behavior can ruin a night out. Throughout the night, check in on your friends periodically to make sure your whole group is accounted for. Even if you’re in the middle of doing the Monster Mash, just take a second to make sure your friends are still with you. Though this doesn’t mean you have to be attached at the hip, it is  definitely good to have a sense of where your friends are throughout the night. Share your location indefinitely with friends and warn them if you are stepping away for a bit. It is better to be safe than sorry: even if you know the place well, you will not know every person in attendance. 

photo via Twitter

3. Make Your Plans in Advance

​No one wants to be stuck without plans on Halloweekend. Coordinate with friends at least a few days in advance to discuss where you all want to go. If you’re going to a club, buy tickets in advance, if possible. This way you can avoid the inevitable raised prices when the event gets closer.

4. Have a Costume, and Then a Backup Costume

​Even if you have your plans set in advance, you never know what new party may pop up and when. If you’re someone who likes to dress up for Halloweekend parties, it’s smart to have a backup costume. Plan to throw something together using things you already have. You’ll be putting your fashion skills to the test while prepping for a weekend full of events! 

5. If You’re Going to a Frat House, Ditch Those Heels

​The golden rule of frat parties still applies during Halloweekend – do not wear heels to a frat house or any open house party for that matter. The floors are gross, you WILL slip, and you WILL get stepped on. Plus, you will certainly get tired of having them on. If you insist that heels are a part of your costume, then take pictures in them before you go and swap them out for sneakers or boots. I promise your costume will still be recognizable without them! 

photo via We Heart It

6. Know Your Limit

​If you are planning on drinking throughout the weekend, it’s key to understand your limits and know when to cut yourself off from alcohol. If you think you can’t handle it, ask a friend to watch out for you throughout the night. As a college senior, I have seen countless people fail at this rule and end up destroying themselves. If you go too far one night, you may be too hungover or sick to go out the next night and miss out on more spooky fun – sad! Avoid this by pacing yourself, eating (see #1), and being aware of what alcohol you are drinking – each one will affect you differently. 

Halloween is always an exciting time in college. Make sure you are doing right by yourself and your friends by staying safe, knowing your limits, and having fun!

Kayla White

Hamilton '21

A recent Hamilton grad from Jersey! Write on.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.