Style > Fashion

Nine cute but clever Halloween looks (with puns)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Andrews chapter.

With Halloween just behind the corner, and little time left to be creative, it can be hard to figure out an interesting costume that won’t be repeated wherever you turn. Especially in university when you want to stand out in a crowd with a costume that’s cute, fun, but easy to do – instead of going as another black cat, a vampire or a witch. Luckily, are a few ideas to help diversify your Halloween camera roll this year!

Tacky Tourist

This one is easy if you have a Hawaiian shirt, jean or khaki shorts, and white sneakers. If you’re looking to take the costume to the next level, other things that could be included are a flower lei, extra sunscreen on the cheeks, a fanny pack, sunglasses, binoculars, a camera (which is excellent for taking pictures during the night), and white socks that go to or past the ankle!

Ted Lasso

If you’re a fan of the AppleTV show, this costume can become your go-to because you may have a lot of the needed components in your closet already. Possibilities include a sports or puffer jacket, a pair of sweatpants, a lanyard with a whistle, a tennis cap, a football, and white sneakers. And maybe a “believe” sign.

When Life Gives You Lemons…

A fun punny costume, this one is also very cheap and easy. All you need is a name-tag with “Life” and a bag of lemons, just requiring a stop at Ryman’s and Tesco the next time you’re walking down Market Street. Additionally, you can give out lemons throughout the night – they will make for a fun conversation starter!

A Salad

This one is great if you’re looking to be a little more crafty or DIY. There are lots of ways to make this work, including with a green tutu. Cut out shapes for your favourite salad add-ins, pin them to your “lettuce” and pair them with a cute top.

Schitt’s Creek

This is a great idea for a friend group, and you may be surprised with how easy your everyday clothes can work for one of the family members. Just make sure to practice your best voice and learn a few quotes!

A Piñata

All this requires is a trip to Ryman’s (make sure to bring your student ID for a student discount). Get some colourful sticky notes or paper and cut strips ¾ up the page to create a piñata’s signature layers. Just tape it to your top (a crop top and skirt work well for this). You’re sure to be “hit on” at the 601.

“Holy Cow”

This pun is simple and it can give you the opportunity to get crafty – for example by using previous costume parts. You can either find cow print clothes or just get a white top and add the signature spots yourself. These days, there are many cow print pyjamas on the market, which is a great way to be comfy and cute throughout the night. Then, (especially easy if you’ve ever been the angel for a devil/angel duo), just add a halo and/or angel wings. 

Queen Bee

This is another pun costume that requires minimal effort but is still super fun. All you need is a crown and something that signifies you as a bee – be that a striped top, wings, and/or a yellow and black palette. Bonus points for a tutu, as a tutu is always a great addition to almost any costume. 

Party Animal

All that is needed for this punny look, which is also a great option if you are looking to dress up your whole group, is your favourite party-wear and a rubber animal mask. Take it up a notch by going with a more dressy party attire look and use it as an excuse to drink champagne.

In conclusion, Halloween costumes don’t have to repeat year after year. Use this list as inspiration to switch up your yearly costume and keep your friends guessing!

Riley Raab

St. Andrews '26

Hey! My name is Riley and I am a Texan transplant studying English and Management at the University of St Andrews as a first year. I am passionate about European chocolate, weighted blankets, spending time outside, reading, and writing.