Black Girl Halloweekend

Halloween fell on a Thursday this year, therefore Thursday through Saturday has been universally spent celebrating by wearing costumes, partying, and trick-or-treating. When it comes to the costume aspect of Halloween, black women never fail to disappoint. Over the last few days, our favorite celebrities such as Normani, Meg Thee Stallion, and Kelly Rowland absolutely killed the game with their costumes. Normani paid homage to Naomi Campbell by recreating a 1991 modeling photo; our new favorite duo Meg and Jordyn Woods along with two other friends were Mortal Kombat’s female characters, and Kelly Rowland was the infamous Donna Summers. 

Twitter also revealed how black women showed up and showed out for the holiday with viral pictures and videos of their imitations of tv show characters, memes, superheroes, and scary movie monsters. My mom reminded me about how black households don’t often allow their children to celebrate Halloween, therefore when we become adults we take full creative advantage of the opportunity. I was never allowed to dress up as anything evil such as witches or vampires, so I went as more innocent people such as wonder woman and a cheetah girl. This year, I dressed up as the black Hermione Granger that was attending Spelman for the domestic exchange program. I was very enthusiastic about being able to live out my childhood dream of being a witch of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Some of our very own Spelman and Clark sisters took Halloween seriously as well. My favorite costume was of a Clarkette and her boyfriend who went viral on twitter for imitating a hilarious Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown video dancing. This was my favorite Halloween so far, but I’m going bigger and better next year. 

Image Credits: instagram.com/jordanssariah, instagram.com/brit__james, instagram.com/erinxkimber, instagram.com/queenzingha__, twitter.com/playygrl, twitter.com/atiralyons