Meet Our Campus Correspondent, Natalie Wineholt

Meet this week’s campus celebrity, HerCampus South Carolina’s very own Natalie Wineholt! Natalie is the founder of the HerCampus chapter at the University of South Carolina, making her both the President and the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine, known as a  Campus Correspondent around HerCampus.com. I asked Natalie to answer a few questions about her involvement with HerCampus as she prepares to start the chapter back up this fall.

“I immediately loved that HerCampus.com was a company created by college women, for college women,” said Natalie, recalling the moment she first came across the website last October.  “I saw that South Carolina didn’t have an active chapter, and I pretty much decided right then that I wanted to start one myself.”

Now here we are, almost a year later, with HerCampus South Carolina up and running, and Natalie in the lead. She started by applying to HerCampus headquarters to become a Campus Correspondent, and was awarded the position after about two weeks of applications and interviewing. After that, Natalie worked to build up a staff of writers and PR volunteers, now totaling 15 girls!

“The thing I’ve loved most about HerCampus is that it gives me the opportunity to reach out to other girls on campus,” Natalie explained. “ I love getting to know the staff members and learning more about them, especially through whatever topic they choose to write about for the week.”

Natalie will continue to be the Editor of HerCampus for the duration of her undergraduate studies, and hopes to someday have it recognized as an official organization. “I’ve learned a lot through this position,” said Natalie. “Not only have I learned how to edit content, lead a team, and assign articles, but I’ve also learned a lot more about all that goes on at USC and the amazing students that make it all happen.”

After only being on campus for one semester, HC South Carolina was awarded a Silver level by HerCampus.com, recognizing their superior social media presence, article quality, and team participation. Natalie said that her biggest advice for new HerCampus chapters is to “be passionate and super outgoing.” She understands that building a team from nothing is hard, but if you get the word out and work to build a fabulous team, everyone will be excited about it.           

Even though HerCampus is a lot of work, Natalie still manages to fill up any remaining time in her days. She is a Capstone Scholar, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma Fraternity and Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Fraternity, and is also involved with bible study, Dance Marathon, and Special Olympics. “I don’t like to be bored,” Natalie joked. Entering her sophomore year at the university, Natalie is double majoring in International Business and Marketing and minoring in Spanish.

If you would like to get involved with HerCampus, email Natalie at nataliewineholt@hercampus.com for an application.

Alpha Delta Pi, Broadcast Journalism, College Football, Olympics, Pugs, Mexican Food www.thegarnetdiaries.com