This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Sunday Simon is a junior at SSU. She is one of the best singers I know, and never fails to make people happy hence, her nickname, Sunshine. She is from Oakland, California but moved to Rohnert Park to attend school in 2014.

HC: Thanks for letting me interview you! Tell me a little bit about yourself.

SS: I’m 20 years old. I’m from Oakland, CA and I’m a singer and songwriter. And I’m socially awkward… Oh and my major is communications.

HC: What kind of music do you write?

SS: I write music from experience. Anything that I’ve written is about either a situation that’s happened in my life or situations that I think would happen. I have anxiety so I tend to overthink things and think too much in the future, so that comes into play with my writing.

HC: How long have you been singing for?

SS: I’ve been singing since I was 4.

HC: Where was the first place you performed at?

SS: 4th grade talent show. I performed ‘A Whole New World’ from Aladdin, and I thought i sucked but everyone loved it.

HC: Have you done any performances at SSU?

SS: I’ve performed at this event second semester of freshman year…I think it was called music for change. I also did tunes at noon once, it was pretty groovy. I’ve also done open mic at Lobo’s.

HC: Where do you want to go with your singing career?

SS: I want to be the second person behind chance the rapper to be a successful artist with no label. I feel like labels are constricting and just focus on the business side of things more than the creativity process of the artist itself. Which leads to terrible music on the radio.

HC: What are some of your favorite artists?

SS: Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Anita Baker, Biggie, NWA, and right now i’m really digging Kehlani.

HC: Have you been involved with any clubs at SSU?

SS: I was in the SSU music business club freshman year. Um, since then I havent really joined any clubs because there aren’t any that interest me like that. I have joined woman of color collective though. It’s not a club but it’s a pretty nice group.

HC: What do you like to do on your freetime?

SS: What is free time? Haha. I like to go to the gym, it’s nice. And I like to write music.

HC: If you were a soda what soda would you be?

SS: Baja blast(from taco bell)!

Edith Ayala is currently a third year at Sonoma State University. She was raised by a Salvadoran family in the heart of Los Angeles from 1996-2014. In 2014, she moved to Rohnert Park to attend school. She is a Computer Science major and plans on working for Google at some point of her life. Edith likes to write about situations that she has been in, in a way her readers can relate to.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma