sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Drink Recipes You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

So summer is definitely one of my favorite seasons and I am always browsing the internet for fun summer recipes. Whether it be fun ideas for a picnic, Fourth of July themed food, or summer-inspired drinks, I am constantly looking at new things to try out.

I was on Pinterest a few days ago and I found some awesome drink recipes for summer and thought they looked too good to let slip into the depths of Pinterest.  Here are a few of my favorites.  

1. Lemon Mint Iced Tea

Recipe:

• 1-quart water

• 3/4 cup white sugar

• 6 regular-size tea bags

• 1 peppermint tea bag

• 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate

Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat; remove from heat, then stir in sugar until dissolved. Add the tea and peppermint tea bags, and allow to steep for 30 minutes. Remove tea bag and stir in the lemonade. Serve tea over ice.

2. Mint Tea Punch

Recipe:

• 3 cups boiling water

• 12 sprigs fresh mint

• 4 tea bags

• 1 cup white sugar

• 1 cup orange juice

• 1/4 cup lemon juice

• 5 cups cold water

• 3 orange slices for garnish (optional)

• 3 lemon slices for garnish (optional)

Place the tea bags and mint sprigs into a large pitcher. Pour boiling water over them, and allow to steep for about 8 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bags and mint leaves, squeezing out excess liquid. Stir in sugar until dissolved, then stir in the orange juice and lemon juice. Pour in the cold water. Serve over ice cubes, garnished with orange or lemon slices.

The best part is that it only takes 10 minutes to make!

3. Jewel’s Watermelon Virgin Margaritas

Recipe:

• 1/2 cup white sugar

• 1/2 cup water

• 3 strips orange zest

• 2 cups cubed seeded watermelon

• 1/4 cup lime juice

• salt or sugar for rimming glasses (optional)

• 1 lime, cut into wedges

• 2 cups crushed ice, or as needed

Steps to make:

1. Bring 1/2 cup sugar, water, and orange zest in a small saucepan to boil, stirring constantly. Simmer until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove simple syrup from heat and allow to cool completely.

2. Place watermelon in a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed.

3. Stir watermelon puree into a large pitcher with simple syrup, and lime juice.

4. Place a small amount of salt or sugar into a saucer. Rub edge of margarita glasses with a lime wedge to moisten. Lightly dip the rim of the glass into the saucer to rim the glass; tap off excess salt or sugar.

5. Fill rimmed glasses with crushed ice; pour margarita mixture into glasses and garnish with lime wedges to serve.

4. Red, White, and Blue Fruit Smoothie

Recipe:

• 1/2 large banana, cut into pieces and frozen

• 2 large fresh strawberries, rinsed and sliced

• 1/4 cup blueberries

• 1/2 cup milk

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt

• 2 ice cubes

Place the banana pieces, strawberries, blueberries, milk, vanilla extract, yogurt, and ice cubes in a blender. Blend until smooth. (Simple enough!)