A Reflection of My First Semester at Sonoma State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I have never been the girl who makes fast friends or completely dive’s into something new without dipping my toe in the water first.  I am hard to get to know, but easy to get along with. I am ok with being on my own, but still love company.  I am committed and focused on everything I do and I plan on becoming someone who makes the world a little bit better.  That is what I learned after being at Sonoma State for a little over four months.  

My first semester at Sonoma State was everything and nothing I expected it to be.  I came to Sonoma from Los Angeles to experience what it was like eight hours away from home in a small town that isn’t remotely similar to my own.  From my stay here I have experienced so much.

I may not have gotten the traditional “college experience” I was expecting, but this semester still turned out pretty great.  I made a few new friends who have kept boring classes pretty fun and have met many more great people I hope to get to know better.  I got a new job on campus that has taught me about the world of publishing, even if it’s just a small portion of it. Best of all, this semester has taught me about myself and the work I want to do.

I have always had a passion for writing and when I started school I made it my mission to take every chance I get at writing and publishing.  Writing for Her Campus once a week has given me that chance and I can not be more grateful.  Now there is not a doubt in my mind that I want to be a journalist.

I learned about my stamina.  Throughout the week I would go to work, then immediately to class and only have about an hour in the middle of the day to relax.  I now know how much I can take on at once.  

Most important of all, I learned that I am ok with being alone sometimes.  I still haven’t made a ton of new friends,  making weekends and trips to the caf a little tough for me, but I learned to just say “fuck it!”  I still have plenty of time to make friends and build a better social life and honestly who cares whether you’re sitting in the caf alone?  I used to be terrified of seeming lonely, but now I learned that I am ok with being a little lonely at times because it’s completely natural after being away from home for the first time in a new town.  

I am honestly really excited for the next few years I have at Sonoma State and a happy end of first semester to all!

Like this article? Here are some related one’s!

My name is Ashley Napier and I am a writer for the Her Campus Sonoma State chapter.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma