Profile: Nickey Homen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

Nickey Homen is a 21 year old senior at Sonoma State University, and throughout her 3 years at SSU, she has become involved in various organizations. She grew up in Escalon, California and moved away after high school graduation. I sat down with Nickey to learn more about her growth in college, and the advice she has for girls that have come to Sonoma.

Her Campus: What are you involved in at Sonoma State University?

Nickey Homen: I am Vice President of Campus Relations for Alpha Gamma Delta, a staff writer for the Sonoma State Star, I host a show with Riley Nichols and Anissa Scarabosio for KSUN, and I also write for Her Campus.

HC: How has being involved helped you grow as a leader and a woman?

NH: Being involved has helped me grow as a leader because I have been able to hold an officer position which involves a lot of tasks, and responsibility. Being involved in the Sonoma State Star has also given me the opportunity to write for all of the community to see but that involves representing myself and the Star in a professional manner at all times. All of the organizations I am involved in have helped me grow as a woman because they keep me grounded and are a constant reminder that I don’t have to be ordinary and I have the potential to make my life whatever I want it to be.

HC: Who inspires you to keep growing and challenging yourself?

NH: My mom and sisters definitely inspire me the most. My mom suffers from a rare auto immune disease called Scleroderma but she doesn’t let it stop her from living her life. She inspires me to do anything and everything in life and my sisters do the same because of how much they believe in me. They all take care of me and make sure that I have everything I need to be able to succeed at whatever I want to try or take on next. Mostly they all are courageous enough to be true to themselves at all times and I think that is worth taking note of in society today.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years and how do you plan on getting there?

NH: In ten years I hope to see myself doing a lot so I hope to achieve most of this. I would like to be involved in PR with either a non profit organization or for local government. Writing is something I also really want to try to pursue and make possible so I hope to continue that outside of my day job and hopefully have a novel published or write for a magazine. In ten years I also hope to be married and start a family. I think it is important to try to achieve your dreams and it is also my dream to be an amazing mother and wife. I plan on getting there through the support of my family, friends, and by taking every opportunity I can to further myself in my career.

HC: What has been the most influential experience in your time at Sonoma State?

NH: The most influential experience in my time at Sonoma State has been these past couple weeks. I have never been so involved and trying to do so much and I feel like I have grown more in these past weeks than my last three years. I finally put myself out there and am doing what I love for the first time in my academic career and I can’t wait to see where this last year and a half takes me. I know it is not going to be easy to try to make it in such a competitive field but I can’t wait to try.

HC: What advice do you have for freshman girls?

NH: The best advice I can give to freshman girls is to be true to yourself. College is the time to find yourself because you truly are on your own and it’s the last stepping stone into becoming the woman you will be for the rest of your life. Take it slow, have fun, and find what you love. Be brave, smart, and take every opportunity you can to better yourself. Enjoy the best four years of your life!

Contributor account for HC Sonoma