My roomate thinks the world is ending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

With all the hurricanes and fires that have been occurring in the last few weeks (not to mention the bomb threats from North Korea), it’s hard not to get a little nervous about the well being of the planet, let alone the human race.  Ever since Trump became the President, I’ve been nervous; I just did not think it would take me just 9 months to actually fear for my life….

Now, as superstitious as some of my roommates may be, I’ve never seen anything quite like this.  The other day I came home from class and I wasn’t worried about a thing.  I had a couple hours until my next class and I was going to do some reading and call my friend who is studying abroad, but instead, my roommate started talking to me about how North Korea was going to bomb us. I haven’t been keeping myself updated with news like I know I should be, but I wasn’t able to feel her pain and fear in this situation and assist her in the panic attack she was having.  

She proceeded to give me updates about why North Korea was going to bomb us, how it was going to affect us, and what she could possibly do to stop it.  Even though there is absolutely nothing any of us can do at this point in time.  She also mentioned to me that with all the earthquakes and hurricanes that were happening, it was a sign that the world was ending because of something in the Bible our other roommate reminded her of.  According to her, the Bible says that the end of the world will begin with earthquakes, hurricanes and fires, and obviously this freaked her out.  My point is, she was freaking out about stuff that I had heard about once on the news, and brushed it off like it was no big deal.  Even after enduring the two hour long panic attack, I still somehow wasn’t worried.  

I don’t think I necessarily live in a bubble, but I tend to not worry about things that aren’t directly affecting me that I have no control over.  In this situation, there’s nothing I can do about North Korea’s desire to blow us up, or the hurricanes and earthquakes and fires that are naturally occurring.  Obviously the best thing we can do is be prepared, but as far as worrying about our impending doom, I’ll save it for a later date.  

Second year at SSU. Hobbies of mine include Photography, Writing, and Singing in the shower.
Contributor account for HC Sonoma