Kanye 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

We can always count on drama and chaos at the Video Music Awards, and it did not let us down this past year. A highlight was Kanye West’s 11-minute acceptance speech after winning the Video Vanguard Award.

Listening to the speech you may find yourself wondering, “What the heck is he saying?” Well, I’m going to attempt to break it down for you.

He begins his speech by telling the audience to “Listen to the kids!” Then he thanks Taylor Swift for presenting him with the award. The whole ‘listen to the kids’ bit seems to play a larger role later in the speech. I think he just got a little ahead of himself there.

He then spends several minutes trying to apologize to Taylor Swift for when he interrupted her acceptance speech when she received the Best Female Video award at the 2009 VMAs. As I’m sure you recall, he went on stage, took the microphone from her, and said that he thinks Beyoncé should have won. He still receives backlash from this outburst, informing the audience that he thinks about it all the time – when he is in the grocery store or even at a baseball game. He also tells the audience, “You know, this arena tomorrow, it’s gonna be a completely different setup. Some concert, something like that. The stage will be gone. After that night, the stage was gone, but the effect that it had on people remained.” He knows he messed up; it just takes us a while to figure out that’s what he wants us to know.

He continues by reminding us that he is an advocate for artists and knows what he did was contradictory. He makes a good point that artists should be sticking together and working cohesively to promote and keep the music business thriving. I am not sure many people understood that though; he beats around the bush by saying, “And this small box that we are as the entertainers of the evening … How could you explain that? Sometimes I feel like all this s–t they run about beef and all that? Sometimes I feel like I died for the artist’s opinion.” Say what, Kanye?

His speech treks on by bashing the station that is currently airing the awards show. He shows no mercy by calling out MTV when he proclaims, “You know how many times MTV ran that footage again? ’Cause it got them more ratings? You know how many times they announced Taylor was going to give me the award ’cause it got them more ratings.” (But in Kanye’s defense, MTV, it’s true – you did use Kanye and Taylor for all their drama-filled glory.) This is also when he tells the audience that he ‘smoked a little something’ before coming to this event, and it all becomes clear as to why he is still talking. Why did no one kicked him off at that point?!

The saga continues as he comes back to his thoughts about listening to the children. But he doesn’t really mean listen; he means teach. He expresses that, “We’re not gonna control our kids with brands. We not gonna teach low self-esteem and hate to our kids.” Its up to our generation to help the next be strong and stand up for what is right. Good advice, Kanye. North is a lucky little girl.

He finally starts to wrap up his speech by recalling what his grandfather taught him and wants his fellow artists to know: “But all I can say to my artists, to my fellow artists: just worry how you feel at the time, man. Just worry about how you feel and don’t NEVER… you know what I’m saying?” We are trying really hard to keep up, Kanye. I think you meant to pursue your dreams and not let others bring you down. That’s what you are always preaching, isn’t it?

The much-awaited conclusion to his rant is the icing on the cake; the only real thing people remember will about his speech. His declaration, “As you probably could have guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president,” caught us by surprise. Whoa there, Kanye, didn’t see that coming, but I guess that could be fun. Kim Kardashian as the First Lady? Maybe this is the change America needs. Does he have your vote?

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.