kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to get more H out of your H2O

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

To hydrate and pee or to never hydrate at all? That is the question. With fall looming, grey skies moving forward, and colds running rampant there is only so much we can do to keep our bodies safe and protected from illness. There are the classics: wash your hands, take vitamin c, potentially get a flu shot and you guessed it, STAY HYDRATED. Staying hydrated not only makes you feel better, but the health benefits are amazing. It has been shown to improve the health of skin, make you feel less fatigued (which we could all use around midterm season), it flushes out toxins, prevents cramps, prevents bad breath, and can put you in a better mood.

If you are anything like me, the concept of staying hydrated is great in theory, but continually falls flat in practice. While I always carry a full water bottle with me, the water never seems to make its way from the bottle into my body. When it does though, I am immediately faced with the consequences of having a *magically* hydrated body, a.k.a. I have to pee. A lot.

So here’s the ultimate question, how do I motivate myself to get hydrated and stay well?

1. Invest in a high-quality reusable water bottle (why not also help the environment while keeping healthy). Sonoma State actually has water bottle stations all over campus to fill you up and show how many plastic water bottles you are saving! Make sure it’s one you love with lots of personalized stickers so you’ll want to have it with you all the time. For me, I tend to opt for a clear water bottle so I can see throughout the day how much I am and am not drinking.

2. Use Plant Nanny! Plant Nanny is a super rad water reminder app that ensures you stay hydrated. Every time you take a sip you get to water your plant to keep it alive and growing. Just like you!

3. Drink water every time you check your phone. If you’re the kind of person who checks their phone a lot then you’ll be glowing in no time. It’s also a great way to check your technology habits.

4. Use a water infuser. Not only will your water bottles look cool as f*ck but every sip is an opportunity to try out different fresh, fruity combinations.

5. Use a reusable silly straw to make drinking water that much more fun. Not only will you be more inclined to sip the day away because of the straw but you’ll get to show off more of your personality.

6. Make drinking water a game. My roommates and I have been working together to stay more hydrated. We have a running game that if another person ever texts, “I ice you” during the day, you have to immediately stop and take a long chug of water.

7. Set a timer! If you are having a hard time remembering to drink water then schedule reminders throughout the day. When the timer goes off it’s time to drink another large glass.

8. Start your day off with a big glass of water. Before you reach for the coffee, eat some breakfast, or get into your morning routine, take a moment to chug some water. Leave a glass next to your bed the night before so all you have to do is roll over. This not only starts your day off right but helps with digestion. Who knew, right!

9. Opt for a fridge or table friendly water pitcher/ filter. If tap water in your area just isn’t doing it for you, find a filter to make your water fresh tasting.

10. Keep it competitive. If you are anything like me, the idea of competition makes things interesting and instantly ups the ante on any activity. Make tracking and logging your water consumption fun by trying to out drink your friends and make it first to your water goal.

In the end, I am probably going to have to get used to having to pee more because it means my body is functioning naturally, but with some of these tips in mind, I don’t think it will be that much of a hassle.

Natalie Weaver is a junior at Sonoma State studying english with an emphasis in secondary education and women's & gender studies. 
Contributor account for HC Sonoma