books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Books to Read in Your Twenties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

I am an avid reader, or I was before I came to university and I felt like reading for fun was more of a chore than a pleasure. Why read a book when I have 4 hours to waste on Netflix… Mindless TV watching is much easier than getting my mind lost in a book. See, with my graduation around the corner, I am slowly realizing how much more time I am going to have to read, and I have been stuck deciding where to start.

Enter Buzzfeed and their lovely lists. They have a few for books, but I was drawn to two specifically: “65 Books You need to read in your Twenties” and “35 Books you need to read in your Twenties”  They ask that you aren’t in school while you read them, I would assume so that you are not in your University Bubble while you are reading books about self discovery. So this list of books is my goal for the next eight years, give or take a few because they are on both lists. I have already read a few and these are my reader’s digest versions. 

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I read this one recently. I cried some, but then I really wanted to go hiking. This is an amazing tale about bravery and love (not in the traditional sense) that the movie doesn’t quite encompass. It is a true story, and when I learned that I was even more moved. Having the bravery to do something that you need to do in order to rediscover yourself, is purely driven by personal growth and courage. Read it. Cheryl also mentions a few novels in the book that are worth reading as well.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

To be young and wild and free in the classing Jack style. Things I would never actually do, but wish I had the courage to.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I nerd out on this one. Honestly, I was drawn to the quirky, 80s pop culture and video game references. Don’t let that fool you though because it is a story about hope when there really is not a lot to be hopeful about, but in a refreshing way. Give it a try, I thought I would hate it, but it was a wild adventure. I have read it three times…. 

Happy reading!

Carly is one of the CCs for Sonoma State University, and she is majoring in communications and minoring in sociology. She grew up in southern California, and even though she misses the warm beach, she really enjoys living in wine country in northern CA. She has always had a passion for writing and is so grateful that Her Campus allows her to share that love and encourage others to join in the fun.