This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sonoma chapter.

So the other day I was eating lunch in the caf all alone, and naturally, I was scrolling through my phone.  I opened Facebook and a post notification came up of a status I had posted 2 years ago that read “I’m applying to college next week…”  After seeing that, it definitely took me a second to remember that there was a time that I was nervous about college, and applications, and all the stress that came with it to an innocent high schooler.  I remember sitting there in bed on October 1st 2015, freaking out about the fact that today was the day I was going to start apply to schools.  I had applied to one in Nevada a week or 2 before, but I don’t really remember why I applied in the first place, and I didn’t really want to go there anyway.  

Today was the day that really mattered as far as applications were concerned.  I had 4 CSU’s to apply to in one day; Cal Poly, Sonoma State, Chico, and Monterey Bay. I had a full day of school that day, but that didn’t stop me from getting all 4 applications done in less that 8 hours.  After seeing that post on Facebook, I was able to put myself back into that day as if it were last week.  I was obsessively filling out the applications all day, even though I barely had any time between classes. I recall sitting in my english class while my teacher was lecturing, and I wasn’t paying attention because all I was thinking about was my applications and how I had to get them done ASAP, because I had no excuse not to.  

So I finished all my applications that same day, and nervously sent them in.  A month or 2 later I started hearing back, but I started to realize that there were some of my classmates that hadn’t even started their applications, and that shocked me.  I mean granted, I didn’t have to write a personal essay, or get any letters of recommendation for my applications, but it was taking some people a long time to just get a few applications in.  This definitely made me happier that I got all my applications in in just one day, because who knows how long it could have taken me if I waited around like everyone else.

I must have started thinking more about this because college application season is approaching soon, and my little sister is about to begin the daunting task.  After talking to her about it every now and then, she’s decided to apply to about 12 schools.  I know, I was shocked at first too.  We definitely have the kind of relationship where I’m not going to bother her with it too much, but I obviously want to know what’s up.  At this point, it’s my parents job to do all the work with her.  I’m just going to stand back and support her.  

It feels unreal that 2 years ago I was in the midst of making this huge life decision, but even through all the twists and turns, I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.