Our Favorite Looks From the 2018 Met Gala

This year’s 2018 Met Gala benefiting the Metropolitan Museum’s Costume Institute was themed Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination. All of our favorite stars turned up, some looking great, some looking odd, and some taking the theme to new heights. Here are some of the most amazing looks from this first Monday in May that helped bring a bit of heaven to the red carpet.

Blake Lively

Photo via Elle

Wow. Just… wow. My breath has actually been taken away. If Serena van der Woodsen had been the one courting a prince instead of Blair, I imagine it would have looked something like this. Blake’s husband Ryan Reynolds is still out of the country, but in this Atelier Versace gown (which took 600 hours to make!), Lively shines all on her own. Bonus: her makeup is all drugstore brands!

Zendaya

Image via Harper’s Bazaar

Alright, Zendaya kills it at the Met Gala every year, so I’m not exactly surprised by this look, but dang. She channels Joan of Arc and does it so well. Just slay me, Zendaya. Literally. You’re actually a knight in shining armor. You can slay me.

Chadwick Boseman

Image via The Fader

Wakanda forever! Long live the king! It’s a sad fact that most men don’t dress up in theme for the Met Gala, and even fewer dress as sharply as our resident Black Panther. He is killing it in this Versace look and I for one could not be happier.

Amal Clooney

Image via People

I get excited when my dress has pockets. Well, Amal Clooney, incredible lawyer, professor, mother, Met Gala co-host, and wife of silver fox George Clooney, is wearing a dress with its own set of pants. Please tell designer Richard Quinn that I would also like a pair, thank you very much.

Gigi Hadid

Image via Us

Here’s another lady who showed up to the gala solo, wore immaculate Versace, and stunned everyone with how gorgeous she looked. Hadid’s dress looks like it was pulled straight off of a stained glass window in a cathedral, and I am in love.

Lana del Ray and Jared Leto

Image via PopSugar

If you’re going to go all out for the Met Gala, go all out for the Met Gala. I’m talking daggers to the heart and all. These two really took the Christian imagery to heart by dressing as the Virgin Mary and Jesus, all in Gucci. I admire the commitment.

Ariana Grande

Image via Bustle

I had “No Tears Left to Cry” until I saw this dress. Now I’m weeping. This was Ariana’s first year at the Met Gala, and to mark the occasion, she is literally wearing the Sistine Chapel on her Vera Wang dress. Needless to say, I look forward to seeing what she wears to the gala in all the coming years.

Katy Perry

Image via People

Six foot tall angel wings. Do I even need to say more? I really don’t, but it is fun to note that Perry’s Versace wings were so big she had to maneuver into the museum sideways.

Rihanna

Image via New York Times

Maybe the Met Gala is technically run by Anna Wintour’s Vogue and the Costume Institute-- but we all know that Riri really runs the show. This year, Rihanna was a co-host of the event, along with Wintour, Donatella Versace, and Amal Clooney. Never one to misinterpret or avoid the Met Gala theme, Rihanna was stunning in her custom Maison Margiela by John Galliano. This year, she wasn’t the queen of the gala; she was the Pope.