This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Freshman Year Reflection

Looking back, I remember being a nervous wreck when I arrived at SMC.  There I was, three and a half hours from my hometown in Massachusetts, which felt like a foreign country for me considering I’m a total homebody.  Setting up my hot-as-an-oven dorm room, I wondered, will I make friends? Will I survive Alliot food? Most importantly, will I like college? Now, I realize I did not need to freak out so much over every little thing. For the first few weeks, I thought I would see my cat out of the corner of my eye and had to get used to him not being there. Of course, the year was filled with its fair share of ups and downs, but we’ve made it through, and that’s something to celebrate. I’ve been an international outreach mentor and a volunteer for COTS, which have been really fun and rewarding experiences. I’ve written at least 100 papers, (no joke) passed a bunch of tests, and spent multiple late nights at the library slaving away. I’ve needed copious amounts of coffee to survive my 8AM classes and have fallen asleep a far too many times with a book on my face. I’ve even gotten over the seasonal depression that winter brings since the sun has started to making an appearance! In addition, I’ve healed from a concussion, dealt with a few stupid boys, and switched my major. Thankfully, I’ve met some wonderful people who I am lucky enough to call my best friends and who actually live one door down from me. I could not have functioned without borrowing their snacks and toothpaste (oops). They have been there for me whenever I needed a shoulder to cry on or a venting sesh and for that I am super grateful. It’s crazy to think that the people who were complete strangers to me nine months ago are now the people I get breakfast, lunch and dinner with and I wouldn’t have it any other way. After all, I can’t think of anyone else would make fun of the Bachelor or explore Canada with my drunk self. I’ve also made more new friends who I honestly do not know how I have lived without to begin with. They are a hoot and a half! As I start to prepare for finals, I can’t believe the rollercoaster of a school year is coming to a close. I can’t wait to make more memories at SMC as a sophomore in the fall, which feels weird to say! I’m happy to be a purple knight and a resident of the beautiful state of Vermont. :)

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.