Why Getting an IUD Was the Best Decision I Have Ever Made

Before getting an IUD a few months ago, I had been on birth control for several years, during which I still found myself worried that I would get pregnant. The pill is only the most effective when it is taken consistently at the same time every day. Personally, the timing aspect was a big challenge. Additionally, when I got my period, even while on the pill, I still got bad cramps and back pain which hindered my academic and athletic performances. 

When I got to college, I was unfamiliar with other contraceptive methods. My roommate at the time had an IUD, and she would always talk about how it changed her life. She told me that she does not get her period anymore and only spots occasionally. This, to me, was the best news ever. No period and no pregnancy? Sign me up!

When I first mentioned the possibility of getting an IUD to my mother, she was against it. However, after I encouraged her to research the benefits of an IUD compared to the pill that I was currently on, she agreed to let me get one. 

I wanted an IUD so badly because there is little that you can do to mess it up. Once an IUD is inserted, it is effective for three to five years depending on the type of IUD you get. Also, after removal, pregnancy is still possible, meaning that the IUD does not affect your fertility. Most importantly, getting an IUD is contraception as effective as getting your fallopian tubes tied. 

Knowing all these things made me feel much less anxious about having an unplanned pregnancy. And, I was so happy that I didn’t have to worry about my period anymore once I got my IUD! All in all, I can confidently say that getting an IUD is one of the best decisions I have ever made. If you are thinking about getting an IUD, I urge you to talk to your doctor and do some thorough research on its amazing benefits.