Sam Harris ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Sam Harris ’15

How about you give us a short introduction yourself?

My name is Sam Harris, I’m a junior Economics major and Business and Intergroup Relations double minor. I love Quidditch and binge-watching New Girl on Netflix, and I know more lyrics to musical theater songs than I know just about anything else. I’m also part of a few committees around Skidmore.

Okay, which committees?

Well, I’m the SGA President, which means I’m also Chair of SGA Senate, Chair of SGA Executive Committee, Chair of SGA Executive Board (which is the Judicial Branch of SGA), and Co-Chair (with Dean/Vice President of Students Rochelle Calhoun) of the Institutional Policy and Planning Committee (IPPC) Subcommittee on Student Affairs. I also sit on the Institutional Policy and Planning Committee (IPPC), the IPPC Subgroup on Strategic Planning, the Alcohol and Other Drug Task Force, the Space Planning Working Group, the SGA Committee on Diversity Affairs (CoDA), and the Board of Advisors for Skidmore EMS (BASE).

Wow. Any student activities?

I also co-founded the Quidditch team (I was both the captain and coach for a while) and I co-founded the Juggling Club, which is now Circus Club. I was also VP and Treasurer for AidsBenefit, and I usually perform with Skidaiko.

Okay, geez, that’s all?

I also have bi-weekly meetings with Rochelle Calhoun and President Glotzbach, if you’re wondering. I love it, though; Rochelle is a wonderful woman and I respect her so much for the job she does. It’s been great working with her more closely this semester. I love the mentality that she brings to her work, and the way in which she thinks about student affairs. It’s so positive.

The President is great as well; he just hired a new executive director for his office, so I’ve been meeting with the director, Joshua Woodfork (who was formerly a professor here) and the President. Glotzbach has also taken a lot of interest in my position on campus, and we spent a lot of time talking through the issues that students have. He’s been very receptive to our opinions and concerns, and I really appreciate the way he takes our ideas into consideration when he makes big decisions.

Are there any big changes or improvements that you’re really excited about?

One thing that I’m really pushing for in IPPC is a comprehensive hazing policy by the end of the year. What we have now isn’t really up to par, and I’m looking forward to improving that. We’re also thinking about increasing library hours, since students seem to be very concerned about that. We’re talking about the smoking policy, which I can’t talk about much now, but we should announce that before the end of the semester.

We’re also looking at the counseling center and increasing the amount of services that it can offer, specifically in terms of the number of free sessions students are given. Of course, it’s the quantity not the quality we’re looking at; the quality is fantastic, and students seem to be very happy with it.

[pagebreak]

Is it true that there’s a group of freshmen girls who call you “Mr. President?”

No. There is one freshman girl that calls me “Mr. President.”

What’s your favorite part about being Mr. President?

My favorite thing about being president is being on IPPC. Glotzbach, the President’s Cabinet, and the chairs from all the subcommittes (about twenty stacultors). I’m one of two students on that committee, and it’s awesome to have my voice heard by the most important people at Skidmore aside from the Board of Trustees. Eric Beriguete, who is also a junior, is the other students who sits on the committee with me, and he also has a really strong voice in both the IPPC and all the other committees that he sits on.

Also, the free meals are pretty great.

What the heck is a stacultor?

Staff, faculty, administrators. Can we have this catch on? Can this be a thing?

Do you have any free time?

I spend my free time in Robin Adams’ office. During that time I eat all of his Mike-and-Ikes and talk about how insane I must be. We also talk about hipster music.

What about the weekends?

I like playing funny card games just like anyone else. Everybody likes Cards Against Humanity, of course, but one of my other favorites is Jetpack Unicorn. It had a Kickstarter a little while ago and I really hope it gets more popular. It’s like a debate game with Would You Rather. I also watch a lot of nerdy YouTube videos. My favorites are the Vlog Brothers, Elmify, and MorganPaigeLoves.

Do you have secret super powers?

No. Although everyone thinks that I have a Time Turner, I don’t. If I did, I would do even more things. In fact, I would do everything, probably.

Any last thoughts?

I’d like to give a shout out to my Executive Committee, who are absolutely amazing. I wouldn’t be able to do what I do without them. Thanks, guys!

Sam Harris would also like to encourage anyone with more questions about SGA to stop by the desk in Case Center!

Grace is a Junior English major/History minor at Skidmore College with a love of red shoes and thunderstorms. She also loves writing of all sorts, though long works of fiction are her favorite. In her spare time she throws Girls' Night In parties, lazes around on Tumblr, and runs the Harry Potter Fan Club on campus, which involves constant events like scarf knitting and butterbeer tasting. In the spring she plans to study abroad in England, so hopefully she will have lots of stories to share from across the pond!