Mercury is in Retrograde: What that Means, and How it Will Effect You

Be honest, do you actually know what someone means when they say that Mercury is in retrograde? Neither did I until recently. Over the past few months, I have become more interested in astrology and the effects that different planetary arrangements have on our lives. I’ve done some research about this year’s coming Mercury retrograde, and I’ve put together some things that you should know going into this season. 

First of all, the word “retrograde” means that something is directed or moving backwards. Therefore, when Mercury is in retrograde, it is moving backwards, against its usual orbit’s path. Instead of orbiting from East to West, Mercury travels from the West back towards the East. The dates of the retrograde shift slightly every year. This year, Mercury has been in retrograde since March 5thand will be until the 28th. 

This year, Mercury’s retrograde is occurring during Pisces season. Therefore, this retrograde can be more specifically named a Mercury retrograde in Pisces. Unfortunately for Pisces, this means that the effects of the retrograde will be heightened. If you were born in Pisces season, good luck!

So, why does everyone freak out over the effects of Mercury being in retrograde? It all has to do with what Mercury represents in Greek mythology. In Greek mythology, Mercury is a messenger god; he is associated with the power of words. Therefore, during Mercury’s retrograde, it is likely that relationships, whether romantic, platonic, or familial, can suffer due to an increase in arguments. During Mercury’s retrograde, make sure to be especially careful to think before you speak!

As we mentioned earlier, Pisces season also has an important effect on this retrograde. If your sun sign is Pisces, you are in tune with what you are feeling. You also frequently burden yourself with worrying about the wellbeing of your loved ones. Because Mercury brings a heightened focus on words and communication, this retrograde in Pisces is going to be an especially emotional, confrontational season. Additionally, Pisces is a water sign. This means that people born during Pisces season tend to have unpredictable emotions. Therefore, this retrograde is going to be even more unpredictable and perhaps emotional than usual. Buckle up ladies, there is a big emotional storm coming!

A lot of this information sounds intimidating, but don’t worry! This Mercury retrograde won’t be all that bad. Pisces has a very absorptive energy. This means that this season is a great time to reflect on your state of being and to make sure to take care of yourself. Now is the time to reflect on whether or not your lifestyle is effective in taking you towards your goals. Ask yourself if you are really acting as the best version of yourself. Also, because this retrograde will have significant effects on relationships, you should take this time to reflect on the health of your personal relationships. Ask yourself questions such as, “Is this person toxic?” or “How do I benefit from this relationship?” Pisces also represents emotion and romance, so this retrograde is a perfect opportunity to step back and evaluate your relationships. 

Best of luck to all of you during this Mercury retrograde in Pisces. You’ve got this!