Matt Slevin ’19 – STEM Orientation Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

A STEM orientation leader, Women’s Basketball team manager, Best Buddies VP and newly inducted member of the Siena College Budget Allocation Committee, it’s clear that junior Matt Slevin is making the most of his time at Siena.

Matt – or Slev – has a great sense of humor and says hi to everyone he passes on campus (…he gives the head nod at minimum).

Her Campus Siena: What is your favorite SAINTS memory?

Matt Slevin: The first day, meeting the Saintees – it brought me back to my first day of college, when I was unsure and nervous. I felt an obligation to help them to the best of my ability and was excited for them. I also genuinely feel like I made 71 good friends even before the freshmen got there and it was just the Saints. The team building ice-breakers were a good way to ease back into the school year.

HCS: What advice do you have for incoming Siena freshman?

MS: Number one, get involved. It helps you branch out and make new friends. Also, first semester is always hardest and there may be times you feel this isn’t the place for you – Siena, and even college in general. But every semester here has gotten better and better and I have grown to love Siena more and more.

HCS: How did you go about choosing political science as your major?

MS: I switched a bunch of times because I was unsure. I originally applied as a psych major, but dropped it before I got here. I was undecided for a while, had a brief run as a social work major, and realized political science is what interests me the most, and that I should major in what I’m most interested in. I like to know what’s going on in the world. Politics are always going on and are important to understand. I’m definitely a liberal arts kid!

HCS: Do you have any post-undergrad plans and/or a dream job?

*This past winter Matt interned with Senator Terence Murphy.

MS: I regularly consider teaching middle or high school, maybe college someday, and haven’t ruled out law school but would take a break before applying. I’m also seriously considering working on political campaigns. I did enjoy my internship – I went to the capital, sat in on meetings and got to see the ins and outs, so I’m heading in that direction and will see where it takes me.

HCS: Have any of your professors or classes had a strong impact on you?

MS: Dr. Eccarius-Kelly for comparative politics. She’s done and seen a lot. Taking her class inspired my love for politics and made me want to major in it. She relates politics to her experience and career and stands out as the professor that made me sure I wanted to major in political science.

HCS: How did you become the Women’s Basketball team manager & what made you apply?

MS: Literally the fourth day of college, I just walked in and tried to get a men’s team manager job. I went to a couple of practices and after some back and forth they mentioned the (women’s) position. I didn’t even know going into it that it was a paid job, but I really wanted to do it. Fast forward three years and I know the whole team and love it. I appreciate the opportunities coach Ali Jacques has given me. I didn’t expect (to be team manager) going into college but am so glad it worked out this way.

HCS: How has your (Best Buddies) buddy influenced your college experience? / What do you love about Best Buddies?

MS: Freshman year I joined because it looked interesting. I thought they could use my help but it ended up being the other way around. I love these people so much. It made me understand how misunderstood people with intellectual disabilities are. I knew after a few days with Phil that this was something I wanted to be involved with. We hang out outside of events and I just really care about him and the club a lot.

HCS: (Not so hypothetical) scenario … you’re handed the aux. What are some of your go-to’s?

MS: “Fire Burning” by Sean Kingston – not sure why this came to mind! And “Mm Bop” by Hanson – ha.

HCS: Guilty pleasure? Pet peeve? Best & worst things your roommates would say about you?

MS: My guilty pleasure is white chocolate mocha coffee at Starbucks.

My roommates would say I’m loud in the mornings – I slam doors and drawers. Also that I’m the cleanest in the room and keep things tidy.

HCS: Favorite(s) at Saga?

MS: You’ve gotta’ love chicken nugget day, buffalo chicken quesadillas the other day were unreal, and of course Graham Slam!

HCS: Closing comments/last remarks?

MS: I’ve loved my time at Siena and hope to continue to be involved with the school even after I graduate.

Rachel Cooper is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Marketing.