This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Would you be shocked to hear that makeup affects you even if you don’t wear it? I mean, think about it, we are living in a society where selfie-sticks are a top seller and plastic surgery is at an all-time high. On top of that, the makeup industry is one of the top grossing industries in the world. So, what was that again about makeup being unimportant?

YouTube sensation, Jaclyn Hill, has made her living off of recording herself putting on makeup. Makeup tutorials have become a huge trend for millennials’ along with other social media sites (i.e. Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook.) Averaging an income of $90K a year (before her collaboration with BECCA Cosmetics and Hill’s new makeup line,) makeup has transformed her life, and her fans lives’, for the better.

Advertisements are essential for brands to get their products to the public. Even if you don’t wear makeup, the makeup being worn in these advertisements does affect you. Say you want to buy a product, such as perfume (as seen above) or a car. Brands make sure they have a beautiful spokesperson for their product and have their face caked-on for the GODS. Why would you want to buy a product if the person representing it looks average or unwell kept? Brands try to make themselves look as luxurious as possible, and that’s where makeup comes in.

Makeup has transformed the lives of so many people, and the main reason why makeup started was to help conceal facial features that people were insecure about. Elanie Mokk, another YouTube makeup artist, has been extremely open about her battle with severe rosacea and acne. Because of makeup, she now feels confident in her skin and is able to feel herself, and also have people see her for who she is, and not what her face looks like.

Makeup has helped so many people in their lives, whether it be a job or their self-confidence, it has shaped who they are as a person and who they are. Makeup has also helped brands show off their product and get people to buy what they are selling. So, the next time you say that makeup doesn’t affect you, remember it is all around you and is used by many people for many different reasons!

Biographies are always the worst to write, because if you glamorize yourself, you're considered vain. If you talk too little about yourself, it doesn't satisfy the readers needs. My name is Rachel. I enjoy long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners, and a romantic movie on Netflix. Kidding. I've been writing short stories and poems ever since I can remember, so to say that I enjoy writing is an understatement. I am so thankful to be apart of HerCampus and all the amazing opportunities coming up!